AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone here determine the origin of this stock assembly? The front end of the kit is Type II Russian.
Any info would be most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Milled struts,milled reciever stub,I would guess either Type III Russian or Bulgarian.

·
Registered
91 Posts
FredX : i have the same underfolder on my Russian type 2 , ( you probally know this but-) the type 2's have the raised reinforcement areas on the top portion of the receiver directly under where top cover goes.-
i have only seen a few type 2 underfolder kits , ( i dont know how rare they actually are- im guessin purty rare) the type 2 underfolder back receivers were also one solid piece - where the type3's had a plate brazed onto butt area of receiver - type 3 U.F. also had a slightly different shape back there i can post pics of my type 2 underfolder if you would like !

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
FWIW I have seen one Russian underfolder stub that had the Type II shape on the rear of the receiver but did not have the rib on the right side. I am guessing it either a late Type II or an early Type III, anyone have any ideas?
jithaca

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response guys,

Buzgun- The back of this receiver stub is a solid piece, not brazed. If you have pics of yours feel free to post them, as your schedule permits.
I could provide additional pics of this one sometime tomorrow. BTW this kit is from Centerfire (2004) all matching except the receiver cover,
although the bolt and carrier are forced. All the metal has the same parked finish.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fred_ex , here are some pics of my type 2 underfolder , ( it is going out to be reblued tommorow) it looks the same , as yours .

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buzgun,
That looks to be an outstanding build! If you don't mind I have couple questions,
Who is going to do the bluing for you?
Did you do the barreling and cut out for the underfolder yourself?
Finally does ORF do custom serial numbers?
I've done 5 builds on stamped receivers without problems, not sure about a
milled though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fred : i am going to have a outfit called Craftguard blue it , as all it needs is a few swipes with 220 grit sand paper and a dip in the hot blue solution , the actual underfolder stock assy. was originally finely sandblasted and then blued , and the receiver & barrel have a much finer finish on them, as one of my kits came with the 95% of the original bule on it-as the original Russian blue was nice - but not Weatherby nice !

i also have 2 type 3 underfolders that are in diff. stages of completion , and several standard type 2 fixed stock (my favorite) , i saw your post on another forum a while back on your type 2 kit fixed stock !!! it was the best kit i have ever seen !!!! good luck on building it !

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your help with this Buzgun. Probably be awhile before I get any of the milled kits built, hell I've had this one for over a year and half and just now determined what I've got.

·
Registered
92 Posts
When JoeKen had the Israli/PLO/Russian stamped Underfolder kits I bought 3 of them, all trunnions were Russian arrow /triangle marked. There were 2 double latching Underfolders and one Chinese single latching no trunnion Underfolder. I recall several years ago that Global sold the single latching Underfolder like you have pictured and called it a Bulgarian Underfolder Stock. It had the cast arms that are identical to yours and the latch sytem is the same. I bought one and put it one one of the Russian's. From my limited experience it appears to me that the Russians used what ever was at hand for the stock system.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nice kit!

I wish I got into AK's earlier!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Here is my T-3 1975 milled kit. Folder looks the same. I sure would like to see a pic of that type 11 folder, never seen one before.
[/url]
[/img]
[url=http://imageshack.us][IMG]
[img][url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/664/sov53up.jpg

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Sasm7,
Could you post a better picture of the rear receiver stub of your AK, I think the rear along with the underfolder might be from a Type 2 kit. The russians also stopped making milled receiver ak's in 1959-60.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The receiver section he (sasm7) has isn't type 2. The raised area on the side isn't present.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
The lady I bought it from was selling as a 1975, I knew that is wasn't but
wasn't sure what it was. It also a the Tula Star on it & Triangle Arrow also.
Here are some closer pics.
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Greentimber said:
The receiver section he (sasm7) has isn't type 2. The raised area on the side isn't present.
Look at the angle at the rear, it's not Type 3. It goes straight down and then inward like a T2. Perhaps it's a later productuion T2 or early T3.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
sasm7 said:
This is the closest thing that I can find to match it . It has the solid slant cut rear on the receiver, no hole in the rear trunnion like the photo.
http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/models/ka64.html
The ak in the link that you posted is a Type 2 underoflder. Your rear section has the Type 2 cut at the end but it does not have the raised area on the sides like Greentimber pointed out.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Then do you know what it is? It has the type 11 underfolder assembly on it. I don't know if is bulgarian, I can check my Arsenals but they are Type 111.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts