AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to get one. An underfolder that is……I think I have it narrowed down to a Polish (from Atlantic) or a Yugo that’s being sold locally. Price not being an issue which one should I get? Anyone own both that could weigh in?
Pros? Cons?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
nocomply said:
I’m looking to get one. An underfolder that is……I think I have it narrowed down to a Polish (from Atlantic) or a Yugo that’s being sold locally. Price not being an issue which one should I get? Anyone own both that could weigh in?
Pros? Cons?

Who built the Yugo rifle? Is it a Century kit build, or another kit build with the original barrel? Or, heck, an original imported Yugo?

Kit built guns from Century have US barrels and the front trunnions are scrubbed... so that lowers the collector value, and the US barrels are not hammer forged like the originals. They are also not chrome lined, which may or may not matter to you.

Both have similar mechanisms, so as far as the underfolding part, the only real differences are the angle of the rear of the receiver and the receiver thickness.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I have both. The Polish is an Overland build, though I've heard that the ones Atlantic sells are also very nice. My Yugo is a Century build. They are both very solid and accurate.

I think, in the end, it's probably a question of personal preference. I prefer the Polish, only because it looks most like a Russian. However, the unique features of the Yugo really make it stand out. Comparing the two that I own, I wouldn't say that one is any "better" than the other. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

In the end, I would say, try to get them both. You know you want to! :grin:

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
the polish have the chrome lined... other than that, there isnt much difference between the two, except price. you can find some of the yugo's with the zastava markings, and some with wood. the century yugo's have a new barrel too... should last a LONG time with the new barrel. i bought 2 yugo's, but am needing to sell one to fund other things. they arent bad guns at all though. i like them alot. the polish? eh, for the price ill take the yugo.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Century didn't scrub them, the kits came in that way. My '87 M70AB2 kit didn't have anything on the rear sight block, just M70AB2 and the serial on the trunnion. Some looked like that, some had the Zastava stamp on the RSB.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Exothermia said:
Century didn't scrub them, the kits came in that way. My '87 M70AB2 kit didn't have anything on the rear sight block, just M70AB2 and the serial on the trunnion. Some looked like that, some had the Zastava stamp on the RSB.

No, they definitely scrubbed them. NO Century Yugos have come with trunnion markings since they started using US barrels. Plus, my trunnion is missing several thou of metal on the left side and you can clearly see where the markings were ground out...

They did it to prevent FFLs from getting confused and recording the trunnion serial number instead of the receiver serial number (since the SN on most AKs, including the Century WASRs, is on the receiver).

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
um, you are wrong. i am staring at a century gun with zastava markings AND a us barrel.

century did remove markings, but perhaps not on all of them.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
catsailer40 said:
um, you are wrong. i am staring at a century gun with zastava markings AND a us barrel.

No, I am not wrong. I had a machinist (Sidecarnuts) look the thing over and he himself said... yep, ground down. Or ask StreetTrends as he gave me some inside info on the barrel pin and front trunnion.

"Zastava markings"? Zastava did not mark the front trunnion with "Zastava" on any of their AKs, and you can e-mail them if you do not believe me. Did you mean on the RSB, or the front trunnion? Because mine has markings on the RSB as well (seen many like that), and that was not what I was talking about (the serial number is not on the rear sight block, plus, I specifically mentioned trunnion).

EDIT: Here, this will give some background info. Some trunnions on kits may have come unmarked, however, that is not the case with Century as they grind the SNs off the trunnion to prevent confusion at FFLs. Heck, call Century and ask.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... f%26sa%3DN

Zastava website:

http://www.zastava-arms.co.yu/

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Glock Holiday said:
[quote="Q-gunner2":fiky09b4]
"Zastava markings"? Zastava did not mark the front trunnion with "Zastava" on any of their AKs, and you can e-mail them if you do not believe me.

I beg to differ.[/quote:fiky09b4]

That wouldn't be the trunnion.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I have 4 and 3 are marked on the rear site base! One has nothing on the site base and I thought this was because they came off of milled guns and the receivers were marked Zastava unlike the stamped ones where it is on the rear site base!

T :smile:

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Well all this time I thought the RSB was the front trunnion.
Really.
Live and learn I always say.
I don't build them only collect and shoot them.

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
catsailer40 said:

No, I am not wrong. I had a machinist (Sidecarnuts) look the thing over and he himself said... yep, ground down. Or ask StreetTrends as he gave me some inside info on the barrel pin and front trunnion.

"Zastava markings"? Zastava did not mark the front trunnion with "Zastava" on any of their AKs, and you can e-mail them if you do not believe me. Did you mean on the RSB, or the front trunnion? Because mine has markings on the RSB as well (seen many like that), and that was not what I was talking about (the serial number is not on the rear sight block, plus, I specifically mentioned trunnion).

EDIT: Here, this will give some background info. Some trunnions on kits may have come unmarked, however, that is not the case with Century as they grind the SNs off the trunnion to prevent confusion at FFLs. Heck, call Century and ask.

Zastava website:

ok, so im just imagining the rifle SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME has marks AND a US barrel... ok. dude, stop talking to me. i have gone out of my way to stay away from you. i would ask that you do the same, since you are nothing but a know it all.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
catsailer40 said:
Q-gunner2 said:
catsailer40 said:

Zastava website:

ok, so im just imagining the rifle SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME has marks AND a US barrel... ok. dude, stop talking to me. i have gone out of my way to stay away from you. i would ask that you do the same, since you are nothing but a know it all.
Damn dude! Chill out! He was just trying to help get the facts straight! He has obviously contributed a lot of post to this site! No need to cope an attitude? :neutral:

T

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Don't worry about Cat... he is upset over a previous issue that need not be brought up. I don't hold grudges so it never bothered me. Catsailer, if your front trunnion was not ground down, why not post a picture to prove it? We can solve this very easily.

Glockholiday, as TRS pointed out, the RSB is not the front trunnion... :razz: I know, it was probably reading too quickly and you know the difference (I do that a lot!). But... as I said, your front trunnion looks to be ground down... Century did that to prevent serial number confusion and your pic illustrates the grind marks I was talking about perfectly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts