AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back, I stuck the M9 Ultimak on my milled M70 build. Just the other day, I realized that the stock milled gas tube has vents (the milled gb doesn't) and the M9 doesn't. I haven't shot it, yet.

Will this cause any problems? I know AKs are overgassed to all hell, as it is, so I'd like to avoid something like pounding the back of the receiver with the bolt/carrier. Would it be advisable to drill the same size holes in the same approximate location? Thanks.

A couple pics just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I believe you should, the gas needs to vent once the initial push happens and every AK has a vent on the tube or gas block. That actually looks like an M-64 Yugo, I can see the bolt hold open nut and raised area of the receiver where the nut is.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still call it an M70 because it was an M70 kit even if I put it on an ORF M64 receiver. I dug the oddity and if I can ever actuallly find a pair of the BHO devices, I'd notch every single mag I have!

Regardless, it's a shooter and I'd like to keep it that way. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
446 Posts
No, you do not need to drill holes into the tube. After the initial push of the gas on the piston, the excess gas flows around the piston head and into the flutes in the gas tube and over the carrier. The holes in the gas block/gas tube is for debris/water to escape the gas system, it has no effect on the pressure of the system.

Watch this video for proof of concept:
UltiMAK AK Gas Tube Optic Mount-- Too Short?

·
Technical Advisor
15,511 Posts
+1., vented or unvented will perform without issue. The Hungarians often mixed and matched their non-vented gas parts with vented or not. No problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts