AK Rifles banner

Ultimak and Cowitness - pretty rare?

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  aklover1505 
#1 ·
BL: I'd like to have cowitness on my Ultimak rail. There are other advantages, but being able to run cowitness is for me a requirement. Best is to run cowitness AND on detachable mount.

Right now, I am finding that cowitness with 'budget' micros are either non existent, or "lower 10%" - you can JUST see the top of the post and barely see the tops of the rear notch - and this depends on front sight height. At best, you can reference your dot when you remount the sight.

I am finding that my MD 25 does OK on some guns but again only enough to reference the dot and not effective to 'shoot through'.

My First Gen PA Micro is almost low enough but the emitter kills the view.

Are there any 'budget' optics/dots that are low enough to generally give 1/3 cowitness on an Ultimak?

Or, is the Aimpoint the only solution low enough in general?

#2 ·
My BSA, Romeo, and my Psuedo Sig Chinese all show the Frt Sight in the very bottom of the glass. If you're looking for it to line up w/the red dot, not likely.
MSENSHO

#7 ·
I wasn't complaining..I'm fine dine like fine wine about it.

Perfect co witness is a pipe dream..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That's the truth.
Not looking for perfect. Just useable or even enough to reference the irons and dot.

DO the Gen 2 PA micros have a less protruding emitter? Anything come close to a T1 for lowness?
The PK-01V and PK-A Venezuela are pretty low, but still about lower 1/3 co-witness. Can't speak for how they compare to an Aimpoint. Both are side rail mount sights though, nothing you would put on an Ultimak.

#13 ·
I did a 24 hour intensive fighting carbine/pistol class with my AMD65 with the AK63 as backup both have aimpoints.
Glock 17 had Trijicon RMR

One is an R1..the other is a compm2 and my other is a T1

Expended over 1500 rounds...
No issues with the ultimak aimpoints.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Sure hope the ACCS MD-25 works - such a good sight. Thanks for the information - btw - mag dumps or close?

There is also a difference between lower third cowitness and what i would call, being able to reference the sight. I can see the whole blade and FSP in my MD-25 on my Troy rail on a VZ 58. On an Ultimak with a Mak -90, I can barely see the notch and FSP - just enough to reference the dot if I lost zero. Not lower third.

#19 ·
BL: I'd like to have cowitness on my Ultimak rail. There are other advantages, but being able to run cowitness is for me a requirement. Best is to run cowitness AND on detachable mount.

Right now, I am finding that cowitness with 'budget' micros are either non existent, or "lower 10%" - you can JUST see the top of the post and barely see the tops of the rear notch - and this depends on front sight height. At best, you can reference your dot when you remount the sight.

I am finding that my MD 25 does OK on some guns but again only enough to reference the dot and not effective to 'shoot through'.

My First Gen PA Micro is almost low enough but the emitter kills the view.

Are there any 'budget' optics/dots that are low enough to generally give 1/3 cowitness on an Ultimak?

Or, is the Aimpoint the only solution low enough in general?
Unfortunately, there is no optic that can.......mount to ultimak, have co witness, and QD, the math is not there, sorry the only way to co witness is wothout qd, even on aimpoint. you can go with higher mount and see under the optic, but not cowitness........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.