·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I really enjoyed it,thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is just now starting again on bravo. must be the marathon movie tonight.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I met one of the Crew Members from U505 a few years ago,Hans Goebler.Fascinating Man to talk to,he was living down around Hernando Fl at the time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bet that was cool. to meet a member of the othersides history.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
It was,he was the one who pulled the plug to scuttle the boat but the US Frogmen boarded in time to re-attach the cover and capture the boat.U505 is on display in Chicago.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
JOHNO said:
It was,he was the one who pulled the plug to scuttle the boat but the US Frogmen boarded in time to re-attach the cover and capture the boat.U505 is on display in Chicago.
I've been on that sub. I cannot imagine living and working on that tiny thing.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
My Godfathers brother, I call him Uncle John was a civilian working at the naval shipyard in Portsmouth Maine and was scheduled to ship out on the Thresher the day it went down, he was an engineer and was part of the team that designed the Nuclear propulsion system on that sub. He lived in Boston and would commute daily to Portsmouth for work that day he was late and they left without him. Imagine that shit.

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
Motorcityman said:
He lived in Boston and would commute daily to Portsmouth for work that day he was late and they left without him. Imagine that shit.
Major stroke of luck...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Krinkfreak said:
Motorcityman said:
He lived in Boston and would commute daily to Portsmouth for work that day he was late and they left without him. Imagine that shit.
Major stroke of luck...
not sure if it's luck, but it was good. my Uncle swapped flights on a c-2 during vietnam with another crew chief, the one he was supposed to be on just disappeared.

and i love the u-505, lived 12 blocks from the museum in elementary school. saw it often obviously. i would give a lot to have met one of the crew. :hail:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts