AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comparison of Type II (left) and Type I (right) lower handguards, both are solid wood variety. Thought some folks might be interested.

Ends

Type II (left) and Type I (right)

Type I Hand Guard Interface to Type I Trunnion

Type II Hand Guard Interface to Type I Trunnion (will not fit)

Type I Trunnion next to Type II Receiver stub

Type II (left) compared to Type I Hand Guard

Rob take alook at this drum pouch, What is it?

Thanks JOHNO
Also, can you help me post a picture instead of links. I cannot get it to work.

jerry

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Great job Jerry,I fixed the pic links.Just add
at the end.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sasm7 said:
Let me know if this is correct the smaller end is a Type 1 and bigger one is a Type 11?
Yes the smaller tab is the Type I. I edited the post to clarify and add a picture.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rob.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Thanks for the info. I bought a Type 11 kit marked 1952 I guess the lower is type 1, on the gas tube is marked same serial # on the gun & is has a laminated buttstock, which is the correct size & shape but didn't know if it should be laminated. The rest of the wood is hard wood. Here is a pic of it. Wondering what is with the laminated buttstock? A replacement?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the laminate butt is a replacement. Also I think all of the Type II and early type III rifles were issued with solid wood, so a solid lower would be correct for your kit. Does your lower have the narrow tab were it inserts in to the receiver?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe the laminate butt is a replacement. Also I think all of the Type II and early type III rifles were issued with solid wood, so a solid lower would be correct for your kit. Does your lower have the narrow tab were it inserts in to the receiver?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is your upper solid also? its hard to tell from the picture.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SturmGrenadier said:
:thumbsup: Good work Jerry!
I plan to remove the sheet metal from the Type I stubb. When I do I'll post pictures of the bare trunnion, receiver remnants and rivets.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice set of wood. Kit also appears to have a type I gas tube.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Good info! I wish I had a type I. :sad:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Jerry,
Could you throw a T3 into the mix for comparison ?
Or should I assume T3 is same as T2 dimensionally ?
It appears from the pictures that a T2 could be made to fit a T1 if you had the correct end cap. (after some carving of course).

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll take some pictures of the lowers tomorrow. My wife has the camera at the moment and she left me at home with the sick kid!

Do you know if the original finish on the solid wood furniture is the same shellac used on the laminate wood?

jithaca

·
Registered
828 Posts
I don't think there is a difference if comparing Russian to Russian.
I've never been convinced that it's 100 % shellac, although I do believe it is a high percentage of it. Last time I tried to dissolve and dry it I detected what smelled like coal tar in the residue. Not real science but certainly shellac is tasteless, odorless. Seems to have a higher melting point than pure shellac as well (Russian finish). Still studying it here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts