AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the receiver stub from the barrel trunnion on my Type I barrel assembly this evening. Here are the pictures.

This was one of the PLO kits, one of the bottom of the barrel ones, maybe the very bottom Type I kit! It was the one with a burned upper hand guard. But it's mine. I am guessing that it was re-arsenaled as the original s/n was obliterated with a "8" stamp and a new one added below. The one thing that is missing is a date of manufacture. All of the pictures of other Type I kits I have seen have had a date. Anyone have any ideas?

Left side

Right side

End view, you can see the sheet metal of the receiver stub

Bottom view

Front End - You can see the rivet heads on the inside. They have been ground flush on exterior side

First Rivet Removed. Exterior side of receiver has been counter bored to allow rivet to flair out when set, so it can be ground flush with the receiver. If you look close you can see the partial outline of the other rivet .

The rest of the rivets

The Receiver stub, at last. Even after the rivets were pulled it was a real PITA to remove from the trunnion. The shell is 0.065 thick and was pressed into the counter bored holes of the trunnion. (The rear end that I have came from a different rifle and it appears to be made from 0.071 thickness metal). Any thoughts that the Type I sheet metal receiver was discontinued do to problems with the riveted construction not holding up is BS!

Bottom of trunnion - You can see the feed ramp rivet and the relief cut for the heads of the front trunnion rivets.

Another bottom view

Side by Side view of Type I Trunnion and Type II receiver stub

Next step is to remove the barrel from the trunnion and decide how to repair the trunnion.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Intreating post. To bad the F***ers cutting them can't save the important parts and cut where they won't damage them.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sheet metal on this one was 0.065 inches. I have a rear under folder trunnion from another gun that appears to have 0.071 inch thick sheet metal, I'll take another look and post later today.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks. I can get two type one parts kits.I don't know if the front trunnion is cut on one.The other m the front trunnion is in one piece.I'll take as much info I can get on them.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More Type I Trunnion & Grip Support Pics

Folding Stock Trunnion

Look close and you can see the flush ground rivets. They are placed with the head on the inside and squashed on the outside and then ground flush.

You can see the rivet heads on the interior

You can see that the Stop Pin for the folding stock has been installed after the trunnion rivets. The hole for it passed through the heads of the trunnion rivets.

Left side

Front End shows the barrel threads

Here is a couple shots of the demilled grip panel support

There are a lot of proof marks on it

Here are a couple of pics of the barrel trunnion after the barrel was removed. You can see more proof marks that were covered by the RSB.

jithaca

Reactions: Kansrustbuzzard

·
Registered
857 Posts
Nice pics! Now that I acquired the grip panels for a T1 I have to get the rest of one...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts