AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BNIB (or more accurately, BN in crate...) Type 56 spiker. Just got it out of the thick packing oil, and put it on the scale.

Well, the lady will need some trimming...!

3.5 kg / 7.8 lbs

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By all means press on
One less in the world makes the rest worth more.
Outside the US they're not exactly a rarity... Collector's value is about equal to the square root of zero, and tool value increases as weight decreases.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Since you are outside the USA the biggest way to remove weight is to take the underfolding bayonet front sight off and install a standard Norinco front sight.

On many MAK-90s here in the land of shall not be infringed I have removed the stock plate and very carefully drilled holes inside the stock. The MAK-90 has no provision for the cleaning kit so I just removed a lot of wood from the center being careful to leave enough on the exterior that I didn't compromise it's strength. Removed several grams that way, not sure how much you can remove from the standard stock but to save weight, obviously leave the cleaning kit out, remove the spring and then start removing wood from the center out, again leaving enough to maintain the overall strength.

Alternately buy another stock and hollow it out keeping the original intact.

There are not many other ways to remove weight from an AKM as they were designed to be as light as possible.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Since you are outside the USA the biggest way to remove weight is to take the underfolding bayonet front sight off and install a standard Norinco front sight.

On many MAK-90s here in the land of shall not be infringed I have removed the stock plate and very carefully drilled holes inside the stock. The MAK-90 has no provision for the cleaning kit so I just removed a lot of wood from the center being careful to leave enough on the exterior that I didn't compromise it's strength. Removed several grams that way, not sure how much you can remove from the standard stock but to save weight, obviously leave the cleaning kit out, remove the spring and then start removing wood from the center out, again leaving enough to maintain the overall strength.

Alternately buy another stock and hollow it out keeping the original intact.

There are not many other ways to remove weight from an AKM as they were designed to be as light as possible.

After that initial reaction, I guess that FSB might not be valuable outside the US. There are probably people here that would give a kidney for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts