AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you may know, the Chinese Type 56 AK features a unique folding bayonet. I personally own a Polytech Spiker and the bayonet likes to wobble. I noticed that the pin that holds the bayonet is quite loose. I ordered 2 "new" pins from Polytech's website and need to install them. Removing the pin wont be an issue because I can remove the bayonet easily because it hooks on the pin, but actually installing the pin will be. Once the pin is in I need to know the best way to "Flare" the pin. This would appear to be similar to flaring the magazine release pin. Do any of you have any special methods to doing this or any special tool I can obtain? Thank you.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Tape ball bearings to the sides of the pin and crush in a vise.

·
Technical Advisor
16,023 Posts
Secure the flattened area of the pin on a solid steel surface like an anvil or steel block. Use a large flat face pin punch that is larger diameter than the flared area of the pin. Strike the punch to flare the pin. Check as you go to get it right and not too loose or tight.
Unless the ballbearing is oversized or the pin only needs small flaring they often will not adequately flare the pin.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Close up pics of the pin ends when they arrive please. My spiker has a home made pin I need to replace.
If you do what AKBLUE suggests it may tighten up your existing pin.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being one hundred percent honest I never saw this reply, rarely go on here. I can get photos tomorrow if you still need them but just to let you know the final product came out great. I used a new pin from Polytechs website, they are 10 bucks. Placed the pin in place in the vice with 2 ball bearings on each side and crushed it. Thing looks factory and just great!

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
That's great. Thanks for the reply. I will order one and do the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts