AK Rifles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys I'm new to this forum and I'm happy to join you guys and gain from you knowledge and wisdom.

My question is
I'm wondering regarding the type3 bolt carrier, why it is smooth behind the charging handle while others "I believe from e.i polish" do have a step like behind the charging handle? Is that to stop the bolt from ejecting a chambered round while on safe? If so how the russian type 3 is doing the same thing without having that cut?

I'll be happy if anyone has the answer as I couldn't find anyone mentioning such topic

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like a lot of the parts changes made in the AKM, shaving the carrier was a weight reducing measure.
Thanks mate I believe what you said was the right answer.

However, how does the T3 safety stop the bolt carrier from going back to eject or chamber a new round? Is that a result of the dimple on the safety pushing against the carrier? As I don't see the handle is reaching the safety to be stopped when cocking it on safe mode.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Are you only going off photos, or do you have an AK to play with?

The end of the safety blocks the bolt carrier handle from moving far enough back to eject or chamber. The dimple on the safety only functions to locate the safety into the selector notches.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an ak type 3 that has been passed to me by grandfather and I'm new to it and trying to gather information about it as a friend offered a Polish akm bolt carrier (as he said it could fit and it is better). But from what you said they are different only on look but no major change in functionality.

And thank you Richard for your replies

·
Banned
16,234 Posts
An AKM bolt carrier will work in a T3 AK47., but why would you do that?

What are you or you friend basing " better" on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An AKM bolt carrier will work in a T3 AK47., but why would you do that?

What are you or you friend basing " better" on?
The bolt in my t3 is stiff, not jamming but stiff even it is well lubed that's why he suggested trying his bolt carrier

he is basing his advice on lighter recoil and mentioned something about it is safer as it has that step behind the charging handle. I know it seemed he doesn't know what he is talking about and that's why I started this discussion.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Your friend does not know what he is talking about and welcome to the forum. Do the serial numbers on the bolt and carrier match that of the rifle?

·
Banned
16,234 Posts
What does "stiff" mean?
Does the rifle cycle and chamber, extract and perform properly?

If there is binding it should be obvious by inspection where it is occurring.

Have you fired this rifle?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What does "stiff" mean?
Does the rifle cycle and chamber, extract and perform properly?

If there is binding it should be obvious by inspection where it is occurring.

Have you fired this rifle?
I have fired it and it functions fine I just find it not smooth as other AKs I've seen before. It isn't bent but I believe it didn't get that much maintenance for quite long

1 - 11 of 11 Posts