AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the AK world and I'm interested in building an AK from scratch. I was looking into buying an AMD 65 kit and turn it into a pistol with a side folding flat receiver. If I go this route, can I avoid section 922r and use the original FCG and other components included in the kit? I want to shorten the barrel to 12.6", remove vertical foregrip, cut the stock off completely and weld the folding hinge to permanently convert it to a pistol. Here's the kit that I'm looking at.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/amd65partialbuildproject762x39

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, if you are going to make a pistol, unless you later plan to SBR it, I would just use a standard AKM NDS receiver and use a pistol rear trunnion and not use the stock at all. Other than that, the AMD kit would make a nice AK pistol especially with the barrel cut to proper length. Can't really answer your 922 question other than I do believe that it does not apply to pistols but you would have to modify your FCG and bolt carrier from full auto.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
From my understanding 922 applies to building. Pistol or not. Import wise it doesn't apply. Unless someone else knows different, id play it safe. Now if your were to SBR it the 922 doesn't apply.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I received a folding stock receiver flat from a friend and I was debating which becomes cost effective. I have access to a milling machine so I could make custom parts if needed. Is there a significant difference between the AMD 65 receiver and a AKM NDS receiver besides the side cutout for folding stock? I heard the AMD receiver is slightly shorter.

Also if I shorten the supplied barrel to 12.6", will I need to change the gas block and gas tube length in order to function correctly?

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
AKM receivers are mostly all the same. Some exceptions between different country's AK's but nothing major unless it's a caliber change. So, your flat and the NDS receiver are of the same measurements.

Your shortening of the barrel will not affect the gas block location or the ability to function. It will be just fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks guys. I received a folding stock receiver flat from a friend and I was debating which becomes cost effective. I have access to a milling machine so I could make custom parts if needed. Is there a significant difference between the AMD 65 receiver and a AKM NDS receiver besides the side cutout for folding stock? I heard the AMD receiver is slightly shorter.

Also if I shorten the supplied barrel to 12.6", will I need to change the gas block and gas tube length in order to function correctly?
Both the FEG AMD receiver (factory Hungarian) and my WASR 10/63 receiver (factory Romanian) measure the same at 10.25 inches. So no, there should not be length difference between AKM and AMD receiver.

As for your barrel, 12.6 should be fine. My AMD measures roughly 11.5 inches from the bolt face to the beginning of the barrel extension.

IMG_20160228_065536377_zpsdgcjtaxq.jpg

·
Technical Advisor
15,846 Posts
Pistols do not require 922r parts. Making a pistol from a rifle is not allowed.
Best to buy the standard receiver (not AMD type) and use a pistol trunnion. Sell the AMD stock & trunnion.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Best to buy the standard receiver (not AMD type) and use a pistol trunnion. Sell the AMD stock & trunnion.
I would even help and buy at least the stock from you. I need one to shorten, or to play with one to see if I can shorten without damaging the original.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts