AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some opinions here-quick. I've got a job opening in Tulsa, Ok and I don't know a thing about the town. I currently reside in Austin, Tx but am looking for something closer to my ailing father. Tulsa puts me within 3 hours of him, which is much better than the 8 hour drive it currently takes me. I don't like living in the middle of a city, so any info on small towns surrounding tulsa would be great too. I need to know any details you can provide-cost of living, weather, PEOPLE, crime, traffic, GUN LAWS, terrain, local attractions, fishing and hunting (of course), parts of town to avoid residence-N E S W, or anything else you can provide. Thanks for all your input!! (I've always lived in Texas, so the rest of the states are like a different planet to me)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Oklahoma is very gun friendly! Great folks! Sand Springs is not bad at all, you will like Tulsa, especially the Wannemaker Gun Show.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I live in Tulsa.

It's not bad but if you're going to move here, I'd live in one of the nice little towns around Tulsa rather than in Tulsa proper.

Some of the towns include Owasso, Jenks, Broken Arrow and Bixby.

If you want to save on property taxes, you need to stay out of Tulsa county...the property taxes are kind of high. Also Tulsa county/city politics are pretty shady.

Nice towns in neighboring counties include Claremore, Catoosa, Verdegris, Coweta, Waggoner, Sapulpa and Sand Springs.

If you have any specific questions, please PM me and I'll do my best to answer them...

:smile:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Avoid the north side of Tulsa.

With that out of the way, the suggestions about the outlying towns are all pretty good so far. Live in one of them and work in Tulsa. I live south of Glenpool and work in south Tulsa.

In the last few years some of the decent parts of the city have deteriorated pretty rapidly. Traffic conditions are getting worse by the day, and the roads here just suck. In spite of that, I still like living here.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Stay out of North Tulsa and Turley. East Tulsa is full of Mexicans(15 to a house kind), West Tulsa is mostly full of white trash.

Go Midtown, South, South East, or one of the surrounding areas. If you're coming from Austin the traffic shouldn't seem too bad but if you're commuting into town on the highways then do it earlier than 7:30-8:00 am. Weather wise, hot as shit in the summer but not hotter than Austin. In Winter it's not too bad. We've had a few bad ice storms in the last few years, you might want to invest in a generator. The people are friendly but private, kind of like Texas, but they can't drive for shit. If it starts sprinkling when you're driving watch out for the retards to show themselves within a few minutes.

Crime isn't really that bad if you stay out of the areas I mentioned. You'll probably read about a high murder rate, that is usually the gangs in the North side of town shooting each other or at least people in the North side of town.

As far as hunting, fishing and guns. Plenty of gun ranges. Plenty of lakes. Hunting permits you have to take a one time hunters education class to be able to get.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd really like to live outside of town, but within driving distance to work-under 30 miles. Do ya'll know anything about Broken Arrow? Is real estate fairly affordable within the range I suggested? I've heard that the summers are hot there but I've been sweating balls here in Austin for the last few months. I used to handle the heat pretty well, but these triple digit days are starting to break me down. Guess I'm starting to get old. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, I appreciate it! :grin:

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
bthorn said:
I'd really like to live outside of town, but within driving distance to work-under 30 miles. Do ya'll know anything about Broken Arrow? Is real estate fairly affordable within the range I suggested? I've heard that the summers are hot there but I've been sweating balls here in Austin for the last few months. I used to handle the heat pretty well, but these triple digit days are starting to break me down. Guess I'm starting to get old. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, I appreciate it! :grin:
Broken Arrow is still pretty decent...schools are still pretty good....it's pretty much your stereotypical "bedroom town" with a population around 75K - 80K...but the "downtown" area is still smaller than my old home town of about 20K people back in Missouri. Real estate is very affordable there...

Jenks is a good bet as well...hands-down the best school system in the state but real estate is higher as well.

Both, despite their size, still have a lot of the "small-town Oklahoma" feel to them.

Don't overlook Bixby or Catoosa, either...both are "sleepers" as far as I'm concerned...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Used to live there, 41st and Garnett (BA expressway and Mingo Expressway intersection... yes those apartments).

I liked the town, but that was in 1999 and 2000. Was working for American Airlines as an Engineer at the time.

I liked the fact that "rush hour" for me was 15 minutes. You had (3) malls within 20 minutes and a half dozen decent theaters.

There is (was?) a zoo and a few museums and if you're into it a theater for musicals (saw STOMP there and almost went to see Phantom for the third time as well).

I thought the people were pretty good (at least on the East side, near Broken Arrow) and even in the apartments, the neighbors were generally pretty decent.

Little to zero tourism so prices are reasonable. It's my 2nd favorite place that I have lived, exceeded only by my current residence due to the fact it's half as far away from family and less than 1/3 the population of Tulsa, but the same feel, but a dry county).

·
Registered
184 Posts
heimdal said:
Stay out of North Tulsa and Turley. East Tulsa is full of Mexicans(15 to a house kind), West Tulsa is mostly full of white trash.

Go Midtown, South, South East, or one of the surrounding areas. If you're coming from Austin the traffic shouldn't seem too bad but if you're commuting into town on the highways then do it earlier than 7:30-8:00 am. Weather wise, hot as shit in the summer but not hotter than Austin. In Winter it's not too bad. We've had a few bad ice storms in the last few years, you might want to invest in a generator. The people are friendly but private, kind of like Texas, but they can't drive for shit. If it starts sprinkling when you're driving watch out for the retards to show themselves within a few minutes.

Crime isn't really that bad if you stay out of the areas I mentioned. You'll probably read about a high murder rate, that is usually the gangs in the North side of town shooting each other or at least people in the North side of town.

As far as hunting, fishing and guns. Plenty of gun ranges. Plenty of lakes. Hunting permits you have to take a one time hunters education class to be able to get.

I guess i am "white trash"

But then again, I bet my definition of west tulsa is a little different than yours.

Your probably talking about the sand springs line. West of the river and south of 51st is not really white trash at all.

That is unless your talking about outside the city limits.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
cue said:

But then again, I bet my definition of west tulsa is a little different than yours.

Your probably talking about the sand springs line. West of the river and south of 51st is not really white trash at all.

There are really nice houses and neighborhoods south of 51st on the west side, anything north of that though :goof:

That area is relatively small though as Jenks is basically right there by the airport. I see West Tulsa improving though, especially with the development going on now...

·
Registered
57 Posts

Me too haha...Funny post.

Depends on how you define West Tulsa. Some of us Westsiders (junk yard dog types) can afford such firearms as M1A's, fully dressed out Russian Tigr Drags, Ar15's, Hk's, Colt Gold Cups, Night vision devices and the list goes on and on and....believe it or not we can afford to shoot them. The only thing I don't like about West Tulsa is I can't go outside and legally blast away with one of my AK's that I built, so I go to our other house and 10 acres that we have in Mannford (farther west of Tulsa) to do my shooting if I don't feel like going to the Sand Springs Sportsmans Club Range. :roll:

BTW, doesn't matter where you live in Tulsa, I'm sure there is a drug dealer around every corner. I've seen allot of so called "white trash" in South Tulsa. The only difference is that they have allot more debt than the west siders. Other than that its just "Geography."

:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow, there's a lot of shit-talking going on here.

Nothing wrong with the Tulsa area, I've been here 8 years now and I like it. Very gun friendly. The outer bedroom communities (I live in Broken Arrow) are a better value property-wise, if you're gonna buy.

Nothing wrong with the west side, there are some Very nice neighborhoods over there.

Tulsa is in the top 5 cities in the country for wage/cost of living ratio, BTW.

Link:http://www.salary.com/personal/layo...asp?tab=psn&cat=cat011&ser=ser031&part=par097

"Rounding out the Top 5 "Salary Value" cities is the booming Oklahoma town of Tulsa. Tulsa is the second largest city in Oklahoma with 393,000 residents within the city limits, and is expected to gain 30,000 more inhabitants by 2010. Tulsa isn't your typical Oklahoma oil patch town. It's one of America's top industry leaders in aerospace, oil and gas, and technology. Extremely low business and living costs have made the metro a hotspot for entrepreneurs. A low unemployment rate has also helped power Tulsa onto our Top 5."

·
Registered
97 Posts
I graduated from Sand Springs (in the 80s) and I wouldn't recommend it. Lived in Tulsa for a while too. It's not bad... Jenks, Bixby, Broken Arrow are all nice. Check out Owasso(in-laws live there), it's about 10-15 min North of Tulsa and it's a nice place with some open spaces between you and the traffic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts