AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Well I can now say that I have had a failure with my 1968 Polish AKM I built from a kit in april. After 740 rounds with no problems I had a failure to eject. Easy to clear but I noticed the casing was all messed up, I was firing Tulammo. Take a look at the pictures, was the round what caused my issue? 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hm...usually a hot loaded round fails at the case head, not at the neck. I'm also assuming the inward bends are from a cleaning rod you used to push it out? It looks like maybe you had an incorrectly sized case that just got lodged in the chamber after it expanded from firing. Steel is a little bit more unforgiving. I'd say inspect your chamber really well inspecting for burrs, then clean it and continue on with letting them rip.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The claws on the bolt properly pulled the round out, the hang up occurred in that it failed to eject/strip the round off of the bolt and feed the next round in. This is how the case looked when I dropped the mag and dumped the case out of the rifle, no need for a cleaning rod.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If it failed to eject maybe a light round that didn't have enough recoil to get back that far

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I had Tulammo blow up one of my SKS's one time. Needless to say I NEVER use it anymore.

Ohh man thats devstating. If that happend to my Tula id be freakin mad!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Tula ammo isn't the most consistent ammo out there. I wouldn't worry about it. Looks like the bent up case is from it not getting ejected and the bolt/carrier closing on it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Ohh man thats devstating. If that happend to my Tula id be freakin mad!
It was a tula refurb :-(

From the best I can gather ( I was rapid firing the rifle at the time), the ill-fated cartridge did not have enough velocity to fully discharge the round, resulting in the round being stuck in the barrel, only to be hit when the next cartridge came into the chamber and fired the bullet. Weird thing is, the case of faulty round cycled normally. After the "explosion" I noticed there was a lot of unburned gun powder in the magazine and chamber.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
There was just enough punch to cycle the action but not for the round exit the barrel. That coupled with rapid fire i would say would be the perfect storm of squib rounds. Glad you were ok. You can always replace a Tula refurbed SKS!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses guys. Sounds like I did indeed have a bad round then. My barrel is a nitride coated US made barrel from AOA. Looks like I'll probably have to look around for some brown bear or something. I live in NYS so unfortunately Tulammo is the most coomon brand nd most online shops refuse to ship to NY residents. Sorry to hear about the SKS! I too have a Tula refurb Russian SKS, 1954 dated in all but immaculate condition. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Unlucky I guess... I've shot thousands of rounds of Tula only one failure and that was an out of spec round, would not even chamber because diameter to big.

Why in picture number 4 does the case look painted? Like brass colored under the grey.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Tula gave me a squib. I pulled the trigger on my WASR and got a funny click. Didn't think much of it at the time and just racked the bolt and spent shell popped out with a bunch of unburned powder. The next round was fed in but the bolt wouldnt close. The projectile from the squib was stuck just a few MM past the chamber. I had to ram it out with my cleaning rod. Needless to say, I won't use Tula ammo even if it's free.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Squib. that was the word I was looking for. The "BBQ" finish on my refurb really started to smell like a BBQ after that....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts