AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scratch another one off my MN wish list, after years of searching and always missing out I have finally got me a Panshin Bayonet.:beer:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Any pics of it installed? What made them change to the newer 91/30 style? Never seen this variant before.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The Panshin Bayonet was produced between 1930-early 1934 for the first model 91/30 rifles, those that had what is called the transitional front sight ( barleycorn) like the Dragoons they replaced. It had been known that the front blade sight could get damaged while using the bayonet so the new model 91/30 bayonet was built with a sight hood on it to protect the blade. These bayonets where expensive and time consuming to produce so starting in 1934 all 91/30's got the now fimilar front globe sight making these bayonets usless. The sight hoods are attached via a dove-tail machined into the bayonet socket. To make these bayonets work on the globe site 91/30's the hoods where removed, making these bayonets very hard to come by with there hoods still attached.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Were some of the SCW rifles issued with this bayonet?
It's possible, the russians first shipments of firearms to the Republican troops was an assortment of odd balls, old surplus, and forgien rifles it had in it's arsenals, but I have never seen anything definative.

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
It's possible, the russians first shipments of firearms to the Republican troops was an assortment of odd balls, old surplus, and forgien rifles it had in it's arsenals, but I have never seen anything definative.
I have not run across an SCW picture with one installed. As you said, they just got whatever was handed to them from the bone yard.

·
Registered
116 Posts

The Panshin Bayonet was produced between 1930-early 1934 for the first model 91/30 rifles, those that had what is called the transitional front sight ( barleycorn) like the Dragoons they replaced. It had been known that the front blade sight could get damaged while using the bayonet so the new model 91/30 bayonet was built with a sight hood on it to protect the blade. These bayonets where expensive and time consuming to produce so starting in 1934 all 91/30's got the now fimilar front globe sight making these bayonets usless. The sight hoods are attached via a dove-tail machined into the bayonet socket. To make these bayonets work on the globe site 91/30's the hoods where removed, making these bayonets very hard to come by with there hoods still attached.
Learn something everyday here. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts