AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going through some 68 parts kits and compared multiple rear sight blocks. This one is a bit different and I am not sure whether or not it is TULA or IZZY. I've looked at a lot of vintage/original AKs (mid 60's) and I've see this style on both a TULA as well as an IZZY. First I thought it was all about the numbers on the sight - but I've seen both styles on guns that sure looked to be complete vintage collector items.

All comments and ideas welcome. If you have an opinion, would like to know WHY - not just a "It is IZZY" or "It is TULA" production part. :)

If I need to take more pictures or dig into it further to help this thread - no problem:

IMG_7013.JPG IMG_7014.JPG IMG_7015.JPG IMG_7016.JPG IMG_7017.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
1962 AKM IZZY from Rob Stott's Publication . . . Sure looks TULA to me ???

To add some fuel to the fire . . .

In looking at the publication 'The AK47 Catalog - Volume 1' by Rob Stott - (is where the image below came from) go to page 18 and look at the RSB that is on the corresponding 1962 IZZY. Notice the lettering - I would have claimed that this was a TULA ramp . . . but it is on a 62 IZZY that sure looks to be 100% IZZY. So - my personal 'TULA Jury' is not yet in on this subject.

What can you guys tell me - and take a look at this specific picture and if you have the book, checkout the rest of the 62 IZZY it shows . . . sure "looks original" to me. :)

1962-AKM-IZZY-RearSiteLeaf.jpg

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Im far from the russian ak expert but it seems weird that there is not more stamps around Pin hole. But looking at the sizes of the indent for the gastube locking lever it looks izzy to me also see were the the holes on both sides where the sight leaf actually locks into place and it's flat on the one side i think thats around 68/69and newer. But like i said hopefully sombody more knowledgeable on the subject chimes in

·
Registered
936 Posts
Im far from the russian ak expert but it seems weird that there is not more stamps around Pin hole. But looking at the sizes of the indent for the gastube locking lever it looks izzy to me also see were the the holes on both sides where the sight leaf actually locks into place and it's flat on the one side i think thats around 68/69and newer. But like i said hopefully sombody more knowledgeable on the subject chimes in
This is correct, its an Izzy RSB and leaf.

Detent hole size, locking lever details and *if* it has a diamond proof, that seals the deal. Good observation on the leaf pivot slot...early ones have a rounded/U shaped top, later have the flat. Do not put too much ID of the RSB based on the leaf, they were often exchanged and interchanged. Each on its own merit.

Tula loves the proofs, agree with sparse quantity thereof observation. Tula leaf are typically stamped near the scalloped cut near the rear notch area and the underside. Leaf looks Izzy. Check the "round vs squared" 3, 6, 7, 9. All details point toward Izzy, not Tula.

Do you have an Izzy or a Tula kit?

Robert

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is correct, its an Izzy RSB and leaf.

Detent hole size, locking lever details and *if* it has a diamond proof, that seals the deal. Good observation on the leaf pivot slot...early ones have a rounded/U shaped top, later have the flat. Do not put too much ID of the RSB based on the leaf, they were often exchanged and interchanged. Each on its own merit.

Tula loves the proofs, agree with sparse quantity thereof observation. Tula leaf are typically stamped near the scalloped cut near the rear notch area and the underside. Leaf looks Izzy. Check the "round vs squared" 3, 6, 7, 9. All details point toward Izzy, not Tula.

Do you have an Izzy or a Tula kit?

Robert
I have TULA kits - with one that I originally thought had miss-matched parts. I'm starting to see inconsistencies in what folks say are definitive proof marks (but I'm a newbie!). The RSB I posted pictures up above - would probably be called IZZY. Just to add a bit more FUN to the discussion - the RSB shown above has a diamond proof and a '1' next to the pin down by the barrel. Also, I have a FSB that most would surely call IZZY - it also has a diamond proof stamped into the cut-out at the rear of the sight.

Now the RSB above has a larger detent-drill mark in the side of it - as does the other RSB with the diamond proofs. The two that I can't find diamond proofs on have the smaller detent drill indentation -- they have what appears to be a light zero or oval proof mark on the opposite side than the ones with the diamond marks (still next to the pin). What can you tell me about the common knowledge related to "diamond" proofs - are they considered the "truth"??? How do I find out more . . .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RSBS - TULA and IZZY - Validation

I have four 'kits' - so I have a bit to compare too:

Here are four pictures - two of what I believe are TULA RSBs and two of what I believe are IZZY RSBs. The TULA ones have small indents on the side, where the IZZYs have the larger drilled indent. The profiles are similar, but the TULAs seem to be a bit 'sharper' in some of the top areas. The two marked as IZZYs do have pretty distinct diamond proofs by the lower pin location - whereas the TULAs do not have any diamond proofs, gut very faint O or oval proofs next to the pin hole - but on the opposite side. Also, one of the IZZYs has diamond proofs next to the barrel - on the forward facing side.

Here yah go - if you have any other opinions/thoughts to add - please do (this stuff is not EASY for a newbie like me!)

TULAs:

TULA-RSB1.JPG TULA-RSB2.JPG

IZZYs:

IZZY-RSB1.JPG IZZY-RSB2.JPG

·
Registered
936 Posts
Diamonds are Izzy, triangles are Tula.

Even a partial proof can be found relatively certain to be either due to the included angles of the legs. Triangles = 60deg. Diamonds = either more or less than 60 as the angles are greater than or less than the three equal 60 degrees of a triangle. The circle and "racetrack" are Tula. To the best of my knowledge anyways!

Robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts