AK Rifles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or do any other of you hardcore Krink guys find this disturbing?

Each of these is legit, no doubt about it. We've long suspected multiple assembly lines but now overlapping serial numbers? Lower serial number for a later year???

Notice the batch code on the top of the trunnion. This was one batch of trunnions.

Registered
You aren't supposed to ask these types of questions. Please delete this immediately.

Registered
At Tula the serial numbers reset each year. At Izzy the same thing occurred until 1980. Then the numbers were sequential thru the years.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jerry, so do we know how the serial number worked? Perhaps the first 2 numbers are the model or assembly line and the rest production #鈥檚? It would seem difficult to believe the numbers started at 000001, or there are about 9 million + Krinks out there if I look at my highest serial numbers and multiply by years produced which seems high for a specialty rifle.

Registered
Ptica鈥檚 new book has really good insight into serial numbers of the AK47, so you can glean info that is probably relevant to the AKSU. That said, the Russians closely guarded the quantities produced so the numbering protocol was being changed on a regular basis.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That鈥檚 hilarious, I was just PM鈥檌ng him confirming my payment! Thanks Jerry, and Pavel!

Registered
One could speculate that they switched from the 88 to the 89 year rollmark while making trunnions for this batch, and there was a mixture of 88 and 89 trunnions at assembly being picked in no particular order.

I believe the serials are a two digit batch code and the last 4 are sequential. So you are correct that these are the same assembly batch and the serials at least for these three trunnions pictured should be sequential to each other.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts