AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
But it’s neither plo or original barrel.
tell him to pack it really well.

Sucks when you buy an expensive barrel and it’s packed so loose it gets damaged in shipping.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
The funny thing is that barrel is uber rare but isn’t totally correct for a factory Tula build. These barrels are from the Tula factory but sent to Egypt for Maadi to start producing AK’s. The Russians briefly supplied components as production came online at the Egyptian factories. Maadi added its own proof marks to them including a second “y” stamp. I have a few of these Tula/Maadi’s and they are for sure factory Tula barrels with a couple of extra proofs.

And mine are absolutely PLO. I have one with Israeli numerics that had been stamped over the Arabic numbers. If you have seen the Israeli overstamps you will know what I mean. Also it has the KOA on the trunnion and tale tale Tula batch code on it. I‘ll try and dig some more pics out of the barrel differences.

The other is a factory OG barrel Maadi that is 100% Egyptian.

·
Registered
235 Posts
😂 lol! I knew it was a loaded question. Would it be even close in value to a original barreled kit? You long time collectors probably have OG barreled kits for less than current kit prices with no barrel.
Man, I need to get started fixing that way back machine!

·
Registered
35 Posts
😂 lol! I knew it was a loaded question. Would it be even close in value to a original barreled kit? You long time collectors probably have OG barreled kits for less than current kit prices with no barrel.
Man, I need to get started fixing that way back machine!
Is there room for a passenger? I think it would certainly increase full kit value over the cost of just the barrel.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Any period correct barrel will increase the value. A Russian barrel is a unicorn nowadays so for me the barrel is only a factor if you are collecting. I personally don‘t see the point to buy a $$$ Russian barrel just to send cheap WOLF ammo down the pipe shooting at tin cans. A Green MountIan barrel would be just as good and you could still afford to buy another kit complete with barrel... or two.

He was smart to tell the history of the barrel. One, he’s being honest which is a rarity nowadays, and two if someone had one of those Tula Maadi kits that didn’t have a barrel it might would be worth the $4.5k BIN price to the right collector.

Maybe Jerry or Brick could chime in here but I don’t think any of those kits were imported after the barrel ban. I have only seen full barreled PLO Tula/Maadi kits. There is for sure one out there, at least now since this one is on GB.

If any members bid on this you should ask to get all the pieces to the barrel. Those would be factory Tula and would have Egyptian proofs/markings on them. I’d like to have those.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Exactly right. There are different levels of buyers who care about different levels of originality. Some guys wouldn’t care it wasn’t original to the rifle, just that’s Russian. Others would only want it if was from the correct factory in Russia. While others would want it to be from the correct factory and the correct year. While others would only want it if came with the rifle itself. Each of these steps increase the value to the buyer and thus also to the seller.

Funny you mention muscle cars too. I was at Barrett Jackson a few months ago and couldn’t believe how much unoriginal muscle cars were bringing. When I was active in the scene if it wasn’t 100% original it wasn’t worth near as much. Now, that crowd still exists but there is a new group of buyer in the market. These guys want the old car on a totally new suspension and modern engine and electronics... Something they can drive and enjoy like a modern car. These things were going for over $200k. A 21 window VW van that was on a new frame and a Porsche motor went for $375k. I was floored.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
It’s 2 that was winning when I posted. Bought a Tula stock that has been resisted. Yeah, the others are all good guys.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
APEX is starting to get some original AK47 and AKM barrels listed.
They either go on the web site or some are being listed on GunBroker.
Russian, Polish, East German, we have a variety.
Some are kits with barrels.
APEX Gun Parts on GunBroker

These all came into the USA 18 to 20 years ago...

Richard

1 - 20 of 40 Posts