AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 495 Posts

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to invite anyone that has a Tula AKM kit to post images here, so we can compare notes. That would include PLO kits, barrel-less kits, trunnion/barrel-less kits, partial kits, matching numbers kits, piece-together kits, RGuns or Dr. Pepper kits, you name it. Even built Tula rifles.

Also, any info you care to share about where the kit came from, or any peculiar features you have noted, don't hesitate to describe them in detail. if you have any questions as to the validity of any parts, just speak up and we will hash it out if at all possible. Mainly, I'd love to see what's out there, and what condition it's in.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Tula 1972, made for Egypt Contract. 100% matching including FCG, selector, and recoil. This kit came straight from Northridge around 2002. This kit was in may opinion one of the first AKM's send to Egypt and was entirely made at Tula. I think that because there are Tula inspector proofs on all the parts.

Slideshow here:
http://s214.photobucket.com/user/bh_4000/slideshow/tula maadi

Attachments

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tula 1972, made for Egypt Contract. 100% matching including FCG, selector, and recoil.
Thanks for sharing, man! I fixed your link (I hope).

Tula Maadi Photos by bh_4000 | Photobucket

I was gonna give you some feedback on this kit a while back and never did, sorry! I just had a lot to say about it, and needed to find the proper amount of time to write it all down in an adequate manner. You did a great job photo-documenting it, BTW.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks Tantal. I would love to hear your thoughts on the kit when you have a chance. It is also interesting to note that this kit is NOT Israeli marked. Most of these Tula Maadi kits were captured by the Israelis, stamped with an Israeli proof, and parkerized.

Another interesting thing about the kit is that all the serials appear to have been hand stamped, not electro-penciled. The bolt carrier is a really good example of the hand stamped numbers.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1970 Tula. Trunnion is mismatched but is in the same general serial number range as the kit - both have the same Cyrillic letters prefix.
Man, that's a real nice one, sir! Both the 69 parts and the 70 kit are real nice. Marcus. if you ever get time, do some close-ups. It would be great to see all the details. BTW, the wood looks really nice on that '70.

Hey, did you ever make any inquiries with RGuns lately on those Tula's they reportedly have? I know that peaked your interest on that other thread. I never called them, just don't have the cash right now to roll the dice, but I think it's a great opportunity for someone to get in on one of these. .

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If anyone posting here has any questions about a particular parts they are unsure of, in regards to era of use or factory of origin, please don't hesitate to ask them. I'm sure between all of us, we can determine what you have and/or what you need. I'd love to see all these projects get built one day as accurately as possible. Of course, in regards to my own kits, I just hope I can manage to get at least one Tula AKM built eventually, so I can check it off my bucket list, hehe.

·
Registered
936 Posts
@Doug-Very cool idea for a thread! I will post up when parts are sorted and better pics are taken.

@Brian-Holy awesome kit! Thanks for the slideshow. Its great to see an all original parts kit. It sure has "all the right stuff!"

@II duece-Nice kit! I managed one of those also. They are nice.

Robert

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, since I started the thread I better try and contribute. Here's a 1971 I own. This was a barrel-less and trunnion-less Tula kit that was sold on the forum not too long ago. I don't know where it was originally bought from, could have even been Sportsman's Guide or Atlantic, or? When I first saw the images on the Marketplace, I was impressed because I noticed it was a 1971 "ГП" batch code kit in mostly original looking finish with original born-in factory applied serial numbers and markings. No refurb marks, no refinishing, no restamps, nothing of the sort was particularly noticeable in the ad images. But anyway, other than the trunnion, it was almost intact with matching numbers throughout.

I mentioned it to two good friends and tried to convince them of what a good deal it seemed. Eventually, one of them bought it. I guess I was trying to get somebody to buy it before I spent money I didn't really have, as funds were quite tight that time period around Christmas. Anyway, I missed posting an "I'll take it" by just a few hours, and regretted it ever after.

Thankfully, a very good friend of mine purchased it, so I kept tabs with him and eventually was able to beg him into selling it to me. I think our long-time friendship had a lot to do with it, so I hope I didnt take too much advantage of his kindness (thanks, Jerry!). Since it first sold on the marketplace here, a few parts have been added or changed to complete the kit, mostly to get a few metal parts Tula-correct (the rear trunnion and front sight base were originally Izhmash parts) . I still need to fnd a Tula fire control group for it. Anybody?

BTW, if you have orphaned Tula trunnion 1971 serial number ГП 4258 laying around someplace, either by itself or in a kit, I'll borrow a stack of dead presidents to trade you for it!!!! I'll even buy an entire kit just to get it. If you have it, or know where it's at, Pm me, please!

Excuse the images, as some of them were taken inside under the poorest of lighting.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Well, since I started the thread I better try and contribute. Here's a 1971 I own. This was a barrel-less and trunnion-less Tula kit that was sold on the forum not too long ago. I don't know where it was originally bought from, could have even been Sportsman's Guide or Atlantic, or? When I first saw the images on the Marketplace, I was impressed because I noticed it was a 1971 "ГП" batch code kit in mostly original looking finish with original born-in factory applied serial numbers and markings. No refurb marks, no refinishing, no restamps, nothing of the sort was particularly noticeable in the ad images. But anyway, other than the trunnion, it was almost intact with matching numbers throughout.

I mentioned it to two good friends and tried to convince them of what a good deal it seemed. Eventually, one of them bought it. I guess I was trying to get somebody to buy it before I spent money I didn't really have, as funds were quite tight that time period around Christmas. Anyway, I missed posting an "I'll take it" by just a few hours, and regretted it ever after.

Thankfully, a very good friend of mine purchased it, so I kept tabs with him and eventually was able to beg him into selling it to me. I think our long-time friendship had a lot to do with it, so I hope I didnt take too much advantage of his kindness (thanks, Jerry!). Since it first sold on the marketplace here, a few parts have been added or changed to complete the kit, mostly to get a few metal parts Tula-correct (the rear trunnion and front sight base were originally Izhmash parts) . I still need to fnd a Tula fire control group for it. Anybody?

BTW, if you have orphaned Tula trunnion 1971 serial number ГП 4258 laying around someplace, either by itself or in a kit, I'll borrow a stack of dead presidents to trade you for it!!!! I'll even buy an entire kit just to get it. If you have it, or know where it's at, Pm me, please!

Excuse the images, as some of them were taken inside under the poorest of lighting.

That wood...........................................

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
This was one of the last PLO kits that was picked from the pile before the remaining kits were sent off to JoeKen and sportsman's Guide. This was the pictures the sorter sent me in 02/2005.

These are recent pictures taken after the kit was built.

Reactions: Tantal

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This was one of the last PLO kits that was picked from the pile before the remaining kits were sent off to JoeKen and sportsman's Guide. This was the pictures the sorter sent me in 02/2005.
Jerry, thanks for sharing those, they make an excellent set of research photo's!

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I'll try to post pics of my one remaining Tula kit. It is a mismatch kit very similar to the other one . I think the parts may be 72 era and the trunnion is dated 68. I want to use a milled LHR and relief cut RSL. Do you think 68 is late for these?

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is the recoil spring sent with the kit all parts match except spring and safety lever not sure what factory this is from.
A shot of the serial number stamped on the left hand side, along with a close inspection of the proofs, would be helpful in determining the factory of origin. In any case, this is a first pattern cast recoil guide, which of course would not be the correct version for a '69 Tula which used a milled guide.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll try to post pics of my one remaining Tula kit. It is a mismatch kit very similar to the other one . I think the parts may be 72 era and the trunnion is dated 68. I want to use a milled LHR and relief cut RSL. Do you think 68 is late for these?
I think those features would work perfect for a '68 Tula.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Here's my '69 RGuns Tula kit.

I changed out a few parts, as it came with a cast Izzy HG retainer, Izzy milled selector and cast Tula recoil guide. Otherwise, the parts were fairly correct for the year & arsenal. FSB, GB and RSB are correct milled Tula, as well as the leaf. Nice Tula stamped TG, trigger and PG block. No, the wood did not come in the kit! It was a set I got with my 1974 kit. Era wise, it is a better fit on this milled kit.

Robert

1 - 20 of 495 Posts