AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What factory magazine mold numbers did the 85 and 86 Tula AKSU's issued with? I've been sorting though my pile of Tula plums and noticed I have the following molds - 5, 17, 18, 22, and 23.

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
I would not get to wrapped up in magazine mold numbers to dated rifle production. Molds numbers were pushed in and out of production and sometimes recycled not in sequential order.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hootbro said:
I would not get to wrapped up in magazine mold numbers to dated rifle production. Molds numbers were pushed in and out of production and sometimes recycled not in sequential order.
That's what I thought, but figured I'd ask anyway. I did notice the earlier molds have significantly more embedded fibers within the plum plastic. Not sure what that means, but I thought perhaps manufacturing methods and material composition could have changed through various generations.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Hootbro said:
I would agree, talk about splitting hairs! I would imagine they where handed out with what ever magazines the armorer had on hand. I have no clue about Russian weapon logistics but, I would say rifles are probably shipped completly seperate from magazines and would have no bearing what so ever on the correctness of a completed rifle other than what was being mass produced at the time the rifle was built. Even then I would say it would be a crap shoot because you still see current model/series rifles being used with bakelite magazines. (unless they are still making bakelites..)

I believe you are correct about the composition methods, iirc from the knowledge I have learned here that the bakelites where the orignal then they wanted a black synthitic magazine but the composition they came up with ended up being the "plum" color you see on them, and as manufacturing/technology imporved they ended up with the true black you see currently. I would even say the plum color went through some changes over the years some are a dark purple almost brown colored and some are almost black with just a hint of purple color in them. This could also be differnces from the differnt arsenals though, I have a Tula plum 74 mag that I would describe as dark purple almost brown, but its more of a solid one color. My Izmash 74 mags are the darker almost black/plum in color, they are newer manufacture though and where never issued so that could have some effect also.

I am sure someone with a shitload more knowledge than me will chim in.

Anyways I would rock a 45 round bakelite in it, just to keep it true to conscript army style!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
When I have seen AK's new in the crates they were shipped this way:
10 ea. rifles with cleaning rods
10 slings
10 cleaning kits
10 oil bottles
10 ammo pouches
10 log books
40 magazines

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
KMFDM said:
When I have seen AK's new in the crates they were shipped this way:
10 ea. rifles with cleaning rods
10 slings
10 cleaning kits
10 oil bottles
10 ammo pouches
10 log books
40 magazines
Interesting, I would have figured they where shipped seperate!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts