AK Rifles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't exactly inert (300fps of blazing .177 cal fury), but I noticed that IZH is releasing a Russian Tula Tokarev (TT33) CO2/BB conversion through pyramydair.com in August (part #IZH MP-656K) that clearly "targets" the collector. Not the first time a Russian pistol's been converted this way, but "issues" (too gun-like to the Feds) usually come up that cause them to be pulled from the market.

This gun is pretty cool, built from the actual pistol, including the original 60-year old frame, slide and trigger group, with the CCCP plastic grips and original historical markings (no flourescent orange tip!). The safety and single-action hammer/trigger still work, but I don't know if the slide still cycles when fired. Looks just like the real thing because most of it is - the only clue from the outside is a fitting at the bottom of the CO2-holding clip.

Didn't put up any links, pics or price because I don't want to seem like I'm shilling for Pyramyd Air - got no connection to them other than ordering pellets now and then - but figured this might be of interest to this subforum. Heard about it in a 2-day discussion on Pyramyd Air's airgun-academy blog, which shows the disassembled gun.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Nice.

so now the question, can this be converted back to a standard handgun? Im assuming it can and that is why the others were banned by the BATFE

· Registered
650 Posts
the mag/CO2 thing is much wider than a regular mag.

it looks to be milled out so the wider piece can fit in.

also notice the screw through the grips...maybe a block welded in and then the sides milled out?

hell if I know though. it looks cool, but airguns arent my thing.

· Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If there was any way to convert, sales would be halted, inventory seized and IZH's investment in the "gun" would lost, so I'll assume they did their homework and irreversably altered the receiver.

More of a curiosity than a serious collector piece for this audience, but at least it still shoots something, beats being converted into a butane lighter. There actually are serious airgun collectors that specialize in this sort of thing, so these will be popular.

Since many of the imported TT33s in the US have the aftermarket safety added, the external appearance (barring the CO2 key) of the BB conversion is actually truer to the original.

The second half of Tom Gaylord's review goes up on the airgun blog tomorrow morning at http://airgun-academypyramydair.com/blog/.

· Registered
3,880 Posts
AZAK said:
If there was any way to convert, sales would be halted, inventory seized and IZH's investment in the "gun" would lost, so I'll assume they did their homework and irreversably altered the receiver.

More of a curiosity than a serious collector piece for this audience, but at least it still shoots something, beats being converted into a butane lighter. There actually are serious airgun collectors that specialize in this sort of thing, so these will be popular.

Since many of the imported TT33s in the US have the aftermarket safety added, the external appearance (barring the CO2 key) of the BB conversion is actually truer to the original.

The second half of Tom Gaylord's review goes up on the airgun blog tomorrow morning at http://airgun-academypyramydair.com/blog/.
In Russia, they won't have to be irreversibly converted. Maybe the reason we have to wait until August is that they're still seeking ATF approval for a US version.

· Registered
6,477 Posts
The CO2 Maks that were imported back in the day could be converted to a firearm and thats why they got banned. From what I am seeing here these TTs would also be able to be converted. I will buy one or two before ATF figures this out.

The way it worked with the Maks, ATF said, once a gun, always a gun, so they considered them a gun even though they were modified, but it took a while before they got banned.

· Registered
3,880 Posts
stoyan79 said:
The CO2 Maks that were imported back in the day could be converted to a firearm and thats why they got banned. From what I am seeing here these TTs would also be able to be converted. I will buy one or two before ATF figures this out.

The way it worked with the Maks, ATF said, once a gun, always a gun, so they considered them a gun even though they were modified, but it took a while before they got banned.
I know about the "once a ... always a ..." that applies to so many things. But the ATF can grant exceptions, though it sounds unlikely that they will for this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.