AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this un-used, non-serialized EG trunnion w/ internal diameter for the barrel @ 23mm.

That would make it correct for the MPi-K, yes?

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Thanks for the great pics.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
To answer your question: yes, 7,62x39 MPi-KM. Now sell it to me. :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SteveM said:
To answer your question: yes, 7,62x39 MPi-KM. Now sell it to me. :)
MPi-KM, thank you!

I bought it awhile back off another firearms forum. It sat in full view for several days until I pm'd the seller and he confirmed that is did have the right oval & letters. When I got it (and I have to admit that I figured it would get lost in the mail before I did) I thought it must be refinished with the numbers bondo'd up & then painted. When I saw all the proof & acceptance stamps I knew I really got a great part.

My guess is that it might be from an armorer's kit. I can't conceive how an unstamped one would end up floating around otherwise? Finish is black, not blue or blue/black. I am going to use it as the finish sample to match for the rest of the rifle.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
What year do you plan to build?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jithaca said:
Not sure of the exact year but the one that uses the wooden (birch?) LHG with swells. I think that would be the first sheet metal receiver version.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
red_metallic said:
jithaca said:
Not sure of the exact year but the one that uses the wooden (birch?) LHG with swells. I think that would be the first sheet metal receiver version.
That would be pre-1980.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I think it would be a shame to make an early model, actually it would be a waste of that un-numbered trunion. You can get trunions ranging from 1966 to 1979. From AA-OK or Joeken (people may hate him, but I have bought over 4 trunions from him with no issues). Build late, have it engraved.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The question I have is... how authentic are you going to get with this? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I never heard of an East German MPi without a serial number. At that point, the novel fact that you have a clean trunion will take away from the build itself, effectively removing the novelty of the trunion. Guess what I am trying to say is that the true value of the trunion you have, is that it has a clean slate for renumbering without removing material or welding. Not as a blank trunion itself...well, besides a shelf curio.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reichpapers said:
The question I have is... how authentic are you going to get with this? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I never heard of an East German MPi without a serial number. At that point, the novel fact that you have a clean trunion will take away from the build itself, effectively removing the novelty of the trunion. Guess what I am trying to say is that the true value of the trunion you have, is that it has a clean slate for renumbering without removing material or welding. Not as a blank trunion itself...well, besides a shelf curio.
I hear what you are saying but I guess it really comes down to each his own. I am really building it to please myself and use as many genuine EG parts as possible. The lack of numbering is why I want to leave it that way. Once it is numbered it would be no different than any of the other ones out there.

·
Registered
579 Posts
red_metallic said:
Reichpapers said:
I hear what you are saying but I guess it really comes down to each his own. I am really building it to please myself and use as many genuine EG parts as possible. The lack of numbering is why I want to leave it that way. Once it is numbered it would be no different than any of the other ones out there.
I don't want to come off as attacking your trunion. It is a very nice piece to have. I just wanted to present my view on the subject. I may have a picture of a late trunion. I have to check.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reichpapers said:
I don't want to come off as attacking your trunion.
No worries, I surely did not take it that you were and I do understand your point. The one thing I've learned over the years, and primarily from my own mistakes, was once you've committed an irreversible mod, nearly always you go "Doh!" at a later date.

:wink:

Do post the picture of the late trunnion that you have too.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The earlier trunions had a thinnere engraving than many of the 70's I've seen. I always thought it was a late early thing, but the thin engraving on that 87 blows that apart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts