AK Rifles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at the 1-4x w/ triangle post reticle for deer/hog/zombie hunting in east Texas...any differences in your choice of color...any studies showing one is better thn the other...

· Registered
3,318 Posts
I don't have any experience with this exactly, but I can tell you that the human eye sees yellow and green best, while red doesn't deactivate the rods in your eye (for night vision). So if you want to use it mostly at night, go red. If you want it at day, go green, or maybe yellow.

I bet it hardly matters in the end.

· Registered
3,162 Posts
Norsesmithy said:
Amber can wash out easier than the other two, if you are using the scope in bright light over drab (desert, dry grass land) terrain, or so I'm told.

Other than that, I imagine it's personal preference.
This is true - but at the same time on a Trijicon if the dot dissapears you can also see the black. If you are having issues with it showing up in a desert enviroment cover the fiber and you will see the black reticle just fine.

· Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Damn. There was a discussion about this a couple of years ago on another forum. Military guys preferred amber over the other colors. Supposedly.

· Premium Member
7,560 Posts
I have seen the green triangle and it IMHO was the best.

· Registered
3,318 Posts
From a few min searching, sounds like any of the colors can wash out, but if you want to totally eliminate it, get one with a polarizing filter, then you can set it to however bright it is right now and the dot stays visible.

· Registered
98 Posts
I have an amber colored TR24. I absolutely love it and will say it is the perfect optic for me. I am in the desert (just Southeast of Phoenix) and have zero problems with wash out or loosing the reticle. I have no problems with it getting lost/washed out on the brown/tan back stock or cardboard targets. The big black vertical post helps as well. In fact, the reticle is too bright at midday and I have to use the shade cover to make it less bright.

While I am completely happy with the amber reticle, I will also state that I got it because it was cheap. I bought it used from a guy who sold it way too cheap to get a high powered Accupoint. If I had my choice, I would have probably tried green. But the Amber was less, so it is hard to not like. I don't think I would be any more pleased with the green than I already am, but I do like to try new optics.

It truly is a personal thing. None of the colors are bad. It is the case that some may work better for you. I used to think the red would work better, but in actual use, it is the same for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.