AK Rifles banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to AKs so please be gentle. I purchased two WBP Polish AKMs 7.62. The triggers both have a "C" on the left side. They feel very different from one another. One is the worst where there is not a "wall" you hit before it releases the hammer. Just sponge and then POW, with no warning. The other has a light wall you hit so you can predict your shots better and be more accurate. Neither is great but one is intolerable.

So I went to Youtube and watched a Garand Thumb video, and he suggested ALG triggers for the AK. He even did a nice demonstration of how the trigger behaved. Looks lightyears better than what I currently have. Is this the way to go or are there other suggestions? Also any suggestions on where to purchase is welcome as well. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Welcome to the group!

The "C" on the trigger indicates a Century Arms International trigger, made to meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment. Century was well known for making the worst parts money could buy.

Haven't built an AK variant in a while so can't help as to what are the better trigger groups to buy but am sure many on this site will be here to help in a bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the group!

The "C" on the trigger indicates a Century Arms International trigger, made to meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment. Century was well known for making the worst parts money could buy.

Haven't built an AK variant in a while so can't help as to what are the better trigger groups to buy but am sure many on this site will be here to help in a bit.
Century Arms. That makes sense. They have a bad reputation in many circles. Thank you for the reply. I am guessing any USA made trigger parts should adhere to the extremely clear rules we have to follow o_O

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
ALG is pricey.
if you want other cheaper options you can give CSS or PSA triggers a try. those are pretty cheap but decent when it comes to function. Maybe just decent enough for you so you don't have to pay for ALG.
Tapco G2 trigger (now out of production) is good too, but these are hard to find and on second market they tend to be more expensive than PSA and CSS.

there are other trigger options but i can't recall names. I stick to the triggers i mentioned. good enough for my purposes. AK is not a precision rifle, don't see any need to over-spend on the trigger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ALG is pricey.
if you want other cheaper options you can give CSS or PSA triggers a try. those are pretty cheap but decent when it comes to function. Maybe just decent enough for you so you don't have to pay for ALG.
Tapco G2 trigger (now out of production) is good too, but these are hard to find and on second market they tend to be more expensive than PSA and CSS.

there are other trigger options but i can't recall names. I stick to the triggers i mentioned. good enough for my purposes. AK is not a precision rifle, don't see any need to over-spend on the trigger.
More affordable is very appreciated. The ALG is pricey. I just want a decent trigger. Definitely not trying to do precision shooting.

Edit: Just looked at PSA and they have a trigger for $60 that is an ALG. $60 seems fair to me. I am thinking I'll go for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could try doing a trigger job before throwing money at it, develope a new skill
That’s a great suggestion. I already ordered the trigger but I have two rifles. Might be a great opportunity to work on the trigger and learn how I can improve it myself. I have heard people going too far with DIY trigger jobs making the firearm unsafe. Any suggestions on DIY AK trigger work? I think just taking it apart is a good first step.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Trigger job FTW

Watch a few videos, there are three or four surfaces you need to smooth out.

emery cloth

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
i don't know. doing trigger job without complete understanding of trigger mechanics and couple of specialized tools, is a big ask from a novice. no matter the videos, which most of the ones i've seen were garbage anyways.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i don't know. doing trigger job without complete understanding of trigger mechanics and couple of specialized tools, is a big ask from a novice. no matter the videos, which most of the ones i've seen were garbage anyways.
True, I started by drilling the fcg pin hole pattern in a piece of hard wood so I could assemble the group "flattish" to observe the Engagement interactions, mostly a decent polishing of the Engagement surfaces will improve the feel, no grinding required

Had I done that with my 1911 when the sear broke, I wouldn't have overdone the first replacement, had to buy a second sear,,,,,and another 1911 to use as an example,,,,,,,so I got that going for me😉

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Atlantic just reduced price on their LBE trigger sets. Good triger. i just ordered 2 more for upcoming builds. these are single stage though. good for mag dumps. you could probably do a second stage mode SIG 550 style if you want to. I'm not sure how i forgot about this one. it's a great trigger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Atlantic just reduced price on their LBE trigger sets. Good triger. i just ordered 2 more for upcoming builds. these are single stage though. good for mag dumps. you could probably do a second stage mode SIG 550 style if you want to. I'm not sure how i forgot about this one. it's a great trigger.

Yes it seemed like a good deal and worth trying. I also got the braided trigger spring. Finally received a shipping notice, so I will update the thread when I receive and install.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
-Ditch us trigger group
-Buy nicely loved commie trigger group
-Use as is or lightly polish commie trigger group
-Profit
-922?, I never heard of her.

Foreign AK triggers are not bad. Some are better than others. Some flitz on a Dremel wheel will make them better. Just remember you are polishing not reshaping.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
As pointed out above, Century is known for the ''Drunk Monkey'' construction. Pull the currently installed trigger/FCG. Buy the ALG since Tapco is no longer available or hard to find. Even the Tapco hammer face needed some smoothing for proper trigger feel and recoil. You can practice developing FCG tuning on Century junk while enjoy firing the AK. As they say, Buy once, Cry once.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts