AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a guy wanting to trade a polish Tantal build for my Norinco 56S. I'm not sure what to gauge his value on the rifle. His rifle would come with a soft case, 1k of ammo and 2 mags. It was built by Longview Class Three Arms.

As it stands I've never handled a Tantal and already have a SGL31. So I'm on the fence so to speak. What do you guys and gals think?

·
Banned
950 Posts
I say no because the Tantal won't have an original military grade barrel. If it had a military turned down E German or Bulgarian barrel that would be different.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't sure, hence why I asked. I've never really followed Tantals that much.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Tantals did come in with original barrels (at least ive seen some). In my opinion your norinco is worth more and would be better to hold onto.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
Personally, I never cared for the Tantals. I consider them the worst AK-74 variant.

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Many Tantal kits came in with original barrels. They are great rifles when made right and a real favorite of mine (especially the fantasy version with fixed AKM stock that only existed in drawings). I like Tantals so much that Ted Marshall's building a wz88-N for me (ow, ow, ow, too much $!). You can't have enough 5.45-based AKs and there aren't that many to choose from.

That said, if your 56s is a pre-ban rifle, don't even think about doing that trade straight across, the Chinese rifle is worth quite a bit more (depending on the condition of both).

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate the guidance. It's an early 56S. The only import marks are on the barrel. My rifle is pretty good shape. It does a few dings here and there but for the most part in very good shape.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I appreciate the guidance. It's an early 56S. The only import marks are on the barrel. My rifle is pretty good shape. It does a few dings here and there but for the most part in very good shape.
Nothing personal, but you'd be a fool to part with it then; especially for a Tantal! If you want to get rid of it that badly, sell it to me! :D

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so the Tantal is off the table because the preban factor as well as over all appeal, the same guy has a very good condition IMI UZI Model B (only includes one mag with carbine) Would that be a fair trade? It's originally what I wanted to trade for since I've always had a lust for an IMI UZI. The guy thinks his UZI is worth more so I offered to throw in a sealed in the wrapper chicom 75rnd drum to even up the deference. He still doesn't think I'm not offering enough.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
If it were me and I wanted the Uzi I would do a straight trade nothing to boot and a mag for mag.
But that's just me.
Why you no want Chinese rifle?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
A better deal, but maybe straight up. I value your early Preban AK at $1200. Model B Uzi's are going for $1000-$1100, so your gun is still worth more. I work for a FFL dealer, so I'm at gun shows every weekend, so I base my opinion on what I see. A Chinese drum these days is almost $200, so I wouldn't even offer that. If he wants to trade straight up, OK, but I wouldn't add anything. GARY

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's not that I don't want it. I just like variety and to try new firearms. I was really wanting to trade it or my 84S for an undefolder version but no luck so far. I have a small list of firearms that get me going and an UZI is on top of the list. I've never shot or handled a tantal is the reason I was asking you guys what you thought about it as far as value and function.

I was gauging the fact the cheapest Buy it now price for an IMI UZI on gunbroker is $1400 and locally they always demand 2.5k to 3k. I was valuing my rifle at $1200 and the drum at around $200 so that seemed like a fair value equality to me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts