AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a Century :eek: , Owner says he bought it from a guy who only put 140 rounds through it. Said he had to scrub all the factory grease off it. ( No I haven't seen it yet). He wants to trade me for my AR. New 16" PSA barrel, all the right specs. Zero round count.

Always wanted one. Ammo cost aside, thoughts??? I know about the problems with a Century, but is it worth a gamble?

·
Registered
21,771 Posts
I wouldn't...

Strictly speaking on value.. you can get one of those century cetmes for 600 bucks or less. I had 2 of the overbuilt DCI ones but I got em cheap several years ago.

Save up for a PTR (even those had problems IIRC) but Century? Nope.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Century is hit and miss for sure. I have one of their FALs, sometimes it will run a full mag without a hicup and sometimes you have to clear a jam every 5th shot. I also have a PTR 91GI, it is a great rifle. The workmanship is far better compared to Century CETME rifles. Personally I wouldn't trade your AR for the Century CETME.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Nope. Century is notorious for grinding bolts to adjust bolt gap instead of changing rollers like they should. That, and a rifle with their bolt gap seems to disappear after a thousand rounds or so.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
While many Century's are a hit, or miss, I have had a few good FAL's, & a G-3 that worked great. But with the Cetme's they built, you have a 90% chance to get a piece of crap. My friend got one years ago when they first came out. All new parts, but after firing 20 rounds, it would jam up. He traded it for an AR. The only way I'd take a chance was if it belonged to a friend who put hundreds of rounds through it, & the bolt gap was fine, & the bolt not ground. GARY

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
No way.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I try to stay away from anything they worked on, with very few exception. Imported by....OK....Worked on....NO.

CETME
MAS49/56
FAL
G93

I have heard that their Vz2000 are ok along with their Polish milled AKs

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Nobody here knows what they're talking about. That's a steal. Jump on it! OK, not really, just kidding. I have a Century Cetme that runs fine to this point. However, I have not really put that many cartridges through it. The thing is even it I knew for sure that it would always run 100%, it's just not overall as good as a typical AR15. At this point I figure I could only get $600 for it, so I'll just hold on to it for when a friend of mine breaks out his HK-91. It's fun to outshoot someone with a rifle worth 1/4 as much.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Does the Cetme come with any extras such as scope mount, etc? Come with some ammo? If not then your AR is probably worth $100 or so more than the Cetme. I have two Century Cetmes and have had no problems with either (but have less than 100 rounds through them).

·
Registered
436 Posts
I m not a fan of Century stuff .However you just dont as many Cetmes for sale as AR's.You could always build another AR.Building a Cetme is another story.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Can you go out and shoot the snot out of it with him? Does the Cetme come with valuable extras like lots of mags and such like rock hound asked? Do you have several AR-15 rifles in your collection? I probably would base my decision on the above and the "grin factor"..you know, how fun it was shooting it out at the range.

If you can't shoot it before then I would definitely pass.

·
Registered
21,771 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
HK pattern weapons always seem to have issues. At least on small rounds of production. Maybe it's the lack of large quantities of stamping equipment?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts