AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a fully converted sa93 with NOS blonde Bulgarian type 3 stock set thats way to pretty for the crappy finish of the sa93 and was thinking of trading it for a Sam underfolder. What would you do? Thanks for any feed back tossed my way :)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Any extras ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have the box for mine, but there is a box with the underfolder. No extras to speak of that I know about .

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
milled under-folder sucks, least comfortable for shooting. i wouldn't do it. if finish bothers you then refinish it.
it's whole another thing if you don't want a fixed stock anymore and want something more compact.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you want the UF instead of the SA93, then just do the trade straight up. They both have about the same value as long as the SA93 was PROPERLY converted. Is lower tang cleanly milled in and riveted? Is the rear sling swivel added? What's the deal with the finish? SA93's typically had good paint. Is it because the gas block and FSB have worn finishes?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the tang was slot was filed by hand and riveted nicely. I'm a collision tech by trade, I'm not trying to toot my own born but I am pretty meticulous. And yes the sling swivel was added I made the slot with a end mill and slowly finished it with a jewelers file until the sling swivel snuggly fit through. I painted the front site and gas block . As far as finish goes it's just a old rifle is all not terrible by any means. And no I dont want a box lol sometimes i just want to switch it up ya know. Always wanted a underfolder but have never actually shot one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just something to think about with under folders. I had an N-PAP DF that I put some time and improvements into. Although it is more compact/trim than my side folder, It was less than ideal and a compromise to have that configuration. The biggest one that I disliked was that when it was folded, it covered the safety/dust cover lever. You had to work at it to manipulate around the stock so forget anything quick when actuating it in the folded position

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Keep what you got. The sam underfolder is a abortion IMO. Never did like the AKM profile barrel and the 90 degree gas block. A cross between a milled and stamped rifle. Kinda defeats the advantage of having a milled rifle.

I love underfolders but you have to really like them to deal with the uncomfortable stock and non precision shooting they offer.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Keep what you got. The sam underfolder is a abortion IMO. Never did like the AKM profile barrel and the 90 degree gas block. A cross between a milled and stamped rifle. Kinda defeats the advantage of having a milled rifle.

I love underfolders but you have to really like them to deal with the uncomfortable stock and non precision shooting they offer.
Some of those 'ban' SLR rifles were like that too. My SLR95 had a barrel journal for a 90 deg. GB and type 3 FSB journal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought a used type 3 Bulgarian wood set and it really fits the SA 93, not shiney but well used. I also have a SAS M7 "Classic underfolder with blond wood and it is about 99% both metal and wood. Maybe just shop around for a better wood match.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The stock set I have looks just like a Sam 7 classic looks nice just to nice lol. Thanks to all that chimed in once again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts