AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short I have a tavor 16inch with surefire brake ambi-controls and a gearhead flashlight lower. With an aimpoint Comp M2.
A guy at a local gun shop asked if I would trade him for a new unfired black Scar-16.

do any of you have experience with both platforms I have not run a SCAR 16 or 17?

I love the Tavor and it's caveman simple to run and clean.

but like a lot of guys I can't justify having both they just cost to much money.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's a square deal. Just depends if you like the bullpup configuration or not. Personally, I'd hold out for the scar 17.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love the Tavor, I'm left handed and this gun works the shit for me. I can run it very similar to an Ak and the weight is not unreasonable.
if I go with a 308 I would get a M1A scout squad. I'm not to into the scar-17 I don't have the range to stretch out the 308 in New England. 300-400 yards is the best I can do most times.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I have an FDE 16S. It's one rifle that I'll never sell.

Take that however you want :)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I have a Tavor and a SCAR-17... I HAD a SCAR-16, I loved the thing, and I punch myself in the balls once a month for selling it... I really want another SCAR-16 but can't justify the expense as I have the "big-brother" which will do everything the 5.56 version will and more!

My SCAR-16 was a freaking laser though! It was stupid-accurate - as in you had to do something really stupid not to be able to hit what you were shooting at. As mentioned above, it was almost boring to shoot - there was ZERO recoil, and that was even with the PWS comp removed.

I too am left-handed and I really like my Tavor. I also have an AUG, and the ambi-ergos of the Tavor really show the AUGs short-comings (in the ergonomic dept). I have a 10" barreled SIG 556 SBR, and the Tavor is still 1-2" shorter - I just love how damn short it is. I think of the Tavor's accuracy in terms of a 5.56 AK - a 2-3 MOA rifle. I think this could be improved with a better trigger - and yes, I know Geiselle is coming out w/one in late spring.

Between the two, I think the SCAR is an over-all better rifle - it's more accurate, runs cleaner, and the controls are more instinctive (for me). My colt M4 is definitely my "go-to" 5.56 rifle, but that is because I have 21 years of job-related experience on the platform. That being said - the SCAR-16 places an extremely close 2nd place, and I could easily see it taking 1st place if I had 1/2 the amount of trigger time on it as I do an M4.

Food for thought...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
photo (22).JPG

:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I say keep the Tavor as it fills the CQB role and is as reliable as an AK. I'm not selling my AR-15's but I can do a couple of things with the Tavor better than the AR's. Right now my AR-15's are more accurate than the Tavor but the Tavor has enough accuracy for how I intend to use it. The Tavor really shines if your in and out of vehicles frequently.

·
Registered
22,695 Posts
Keep the Tavor, save up for the SCAR

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I'm seeing the cost of the Tavor going down for some versions compared to last year, whereas the SCARs have pretty much maintained their price point. If you're considering a straight up trade you may want to take into account that you could get a Tavor later at a reduced cost.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I have a 16s and it is an absolutely amazing rifle. I originally wanted a 17s, but went with the 16s since I could shoot more for less. It really does have almost no recoil and the action is so smooth. It has a few minor cons such as a short forend with non-removable rails and trigger is really heavy. I polished it to a mirror shine and it's still super heavy, but there are replacements. It's just hard to beat quality on an FN long gun. Some of the first shots with mine were at stationary clays in a field about 50 yards out and I picked them all off with one shot each with the fastest follow up shots I've ever made.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I went tonight and played around with the SCAR at the gun shop, it's not worth it at the moment, I have a comp m2 and som other goodies on my Tavor that I would loose and only end up with a stock scar.
I can say a few things about the scar. 1) it's crazy light, what's that gun weigh 6.5 empty! 2) I'm sorry but that buttstock is cheap and I question how strong it is. 3) that gun is light!!!!! I'm going to save my penny's for one it will probably take a year but it's no big deal. I was thinking it would make a great SBR.
I should post pics of my Tavor now hahaa
ill be getting the Timmy trigger for it, over the Geislle.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pic

Don't mind the cheap mount I was trying to find something that Co-Witnessed, I'm still not sure about the aimpoint
I might try to get an EOtech XSP-02
the light and hand guard are from gearhead it's a 450lmn light with a pressure switch the slings just a magpul Ms3 QD
[/URL]

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Keep the Tavor! And don't sell or trade your guns! You will always end up wanting to kick yourself if you do.
If you don't like it anymore or your taste changed......sell the shit out of it. No regrets! I've sold many guns, from Garands to Lugers to Tokarevs to Glocks. Have not regretted a single one. Just last week I sold 2 Tokarevs cause the last time they saw the light of day was 3 years ago. If you feel the SCAR is better for you sell the Tavor

·
Banned
103 Posts
Apples to oranges comparison.

If you want a SCAR 16 and don't want your TAVOR anymore, do it.

I've owned a SCAR 16 in the past. Nothing to get excited about.

The SCAR 17 is another thing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes, buy and buy more. This is not the market to sell anyways. There will always be ups and downs, guns are rock bottom right now.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Don't mind the cheap mount I was trying to find something that Co-Witnessed, I'm still not sure about the aimpoint
I might try to get an EOtech XSP-02
the light and hand guard are from gearhead it's a 450lmn light with a pressure switch the slings just a magpul Ms3 QD
[/URL]

Looks awesome but it's screaming for an older model Eotech 552 or an M4S without a spacer, low battery, and a Bobro Mount.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts