AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I would like to say hello to everyone on the forums, soon I plan on building the 80% Fixed stock Russian T3 from Torthort. Only information on these is (Machined to accept 23mm press in barrels.
These are compatible with the milled Bulgarian and Polish kits on the market) I may or not trying to go for an true authentic T3 Look depends what I can get at decent price, I was wondering 23mm press N Pin barrel would that mean a standard AKM barrel? Because I would like to get that FB Random CHF Chrome barrel.

And I've been searching and can't really find a definite answer on this "majority of parts from milled and stamped AK47 or AKM should be interchangeable". Been looking for Polish Milled bolt carrier it seem they get snatched up quick from people with C39v2's
You think an YUGO RPK Bolt and Carrier assembly
would work because they use a thicker receiver then the standard 1mm? I heard the term Yugo "odd ball" so a typical part that might interchange will not.:confused: I know a dead give away for a milled bolt carrier is they don't have that scalloped or lighting cut behind the charging handle.

Thanks again and apologies if these are dumb question

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Blugy and Polish milled kits will work with Russian patterned milled receivers. An AKM barrel may fit the receiver, but wont work with the barrel components of a milled kit. Your best bet for a barrel would be K-Var.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Blugy and Polish milled kits will work with Russian patterned milled receivers. An AKM barrel may fit the receiver, but wont work with the barrel components of a milled kit. Your best bet for a barrel would be K-Var.
Thats what I was wondering besides the furniture, with an AKM barrel fitted in a T3 receiver all AKM profile parts should fit forward of barrel? eg RSB, gastube, gas block hand guard retainer ect. Think of it as sort of a khyber pass build with a milled receiver AKM 23mm barrel with all AKM parts foward and type 3 dust cover and buttstock. I don't have a parts kits and building it with separate sourced parts.

I was asking because I can get NOS Yugo RPK bolt and carrier for cheap. As for the AKM or specific "Milled Profiled Barrel" waiting on response from Tortrot.

Sorry again for being ignorant.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The AKM barrel components on an AKM barrel will work... note that the akm rear sight base is narrower by .5mm than the milled version. this will leave a slight gap between "ears" of the upper forward part of receiver. (not a problem)
As for bolt carriers, you should find a bulgarian, polish, or hungarian military carrier (and bolt) they are equally as cheap but better made than the more recent yugo/serbian nos ones IMO. The Hungarian AKM carriers are made same as milled carriers and look the part.
this is the AK47 barrel at K-Var (not an AKM barrel)
K-Var Corp | Barrel, Bulgarian, 7.62x39 caliber, 16in, heavy barrel, for classic rifles.
For an AKM barrel might try either the Polish FB sporter barrels out there or Romanian.
-
Also note you will need a bullet guide & rivet - best bet is to get a used one with the turning ramp already angled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Is this a virgin barrel? Did you have to notch the barrel for the extractor and drill the gas port? I can't any info on it.
Virgin barrel, you have to drill gas port, notch for LHG retainer, and extractor. I linked the one that is threaded for muzzle nut, there is a cheaper one that isnt threaded.
Great barrel.

Reactions: BylatMan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Virgin barrel, you have to drill gas port, notch for LHG retainer, and extractor. I linked the one that is threaded for muzzle nut, there is a cheaper one that isnt threaded.
Great barrel.
Would Polish 1960 Milled parts fit this barrel Rearsight block, Gasblock, Lower Handgaurd Retainer and Front site block with minor fitting?:confused: I can't really find any dimensions on the barrel and K-Var hasn't responded in 2 weeks. Sorry for bugging you and sounding some what redundant. I would really dislike buying something and dealing with sending it back and paying restocking fees or going thru the trouble of selling them.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
they should.. keep in mind with all barrels and barrel parts...... (AKM & AK47) journals on the barrel and journal bores in the parts are "numbered" as to size... 1-4 (1 is smallest or undersize, 2 is nominal, 3 oversize, etc) .. for example a rear sight base may be a #2 then the barrel journal should be stamped #2 at that location for a good match. These bulgy barrels tend to have alot of #1 journals... so that isome fitting needed as well.
-
hard to explain here, there are a number of threads on this. hopefully with pictures.

Reactions: BylatMan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I seen that post on the other forum about "AK component sizing info" and seen a gentleman on a YT video use a FLEXHONE to get the parts round and careful use of a micrometer and telescoping gauge to get proper interference fit.

Would much rather hone a few parts then knurl a really nice barrel.

Sounds like Im in for one hell of a crash coarse in AK Building.

Thanks Again Sunspot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have found that the K-Var and CNC Warrior bullet/turning guides are virgin and absolutely need to be fitted to seat into the receiver or even get the bolt to turn. ALL before actually riveting the guide into receiver.
This is why simple builds are easy when using numbered parts that have been fitted to work together at factory prior. (matched kits) With new receivers or trunnions, mismatched bolts/carriers all this needs to be checked and fitted - turning ramps and lug contact surfaces, bolt shank remaining perpendicular and centered when locked, since the locking lugs are cut on a helix with a 3mm thread pitch like screw threads. The gap between barrel and bolt face is mostly for threaded bbls, since the guide and barrel have to be installed just to check it.

Anyway, a good, used bullet guide may save you some time.

Robert Forbus has alot of great info... he has had the russian drawing set for a long time and has examined it carefully.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I have the Russian prints for the guide and they are real similar to the M76 guides I made. I am getting ready to make another batch of them so I might tweak my programs and make a few for the my polish kits. I have a Tortort threaded receiver so all I need is a barrel to play with seeing if it will work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts