AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I not only watched it form but then rode it out as it came straight across me today.

It as awe inspiring and scary as heck at the same time. I watched it form just across the lake from me as it spun out and eventually touched down and debris started. At that moment I was on the phone to dispatchers and as it wobbled back and forth it became evident that not only was it getting bigger but that meant it also was coming straight at me. Soon as it decided to move it came fast. I had like four or so minutes to get in and get into my office and crawl under my desk and whimper like a school girl. All the while I could see what was going on outside because I could see the computer screen with the three security cameras. Couldn't take my eyes away. Weak one when it came over but blew lots of debris around.

It went straight through my building here on the edge of the lake and over straight through campus and then proceeded downtown. Some damage. But they we had like three more around us and still are looking at threat. Fay is kicking this part of SC's Ass right now.

I didn't even think to snap a picture! I was using my phone to call it in and then had to take cover. I do see someone took one looking from behind and towards where I was that I will try and get up later. But I hear I have no power at home so it might be a while.

No major damage that I know of. Trees and cars and such. And so far no one hurt that I have heard so far. ...but we have been swarmed with them this afternoon.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Wow. That sounds intense.

I never saw an actual tornado in the experience I had, but it was just as intense.

I had gone home from work with a cold around noon. I was lying in bed, when I could hear "tap tap tap tap" on the window. Since the curtains were closed I couldn't see what was going on. The neighborhood kids had been pulling some pranks lately, so I immediately thought, "What are those kids doing NOW?"

I got up and went to the living room, still in a daze, and opened the curtains to my big picture window. What I saw was pea-sized hail striking the window horizontally.

About that time my mom called. She told me that a tornado warning had been issued for my part of town. A tornado warning means one has been sighted or is in imminent danger of forming. I stood at the window..half sick...half dazed...half surprised, watching the hail strike the window like someone was blowing it toward me with a fan. I asked myself, "Well, do I stand here and die like a man or at least try to get in the bathtub?"

About that time the hail stopped and the cloud passed over a few minutes later.

I guess there never was an actual tornado, but the experience was sure intense.

The next day at work my boss showed me photos of a tornado trying to form just a few blocks from the store.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Cool...

They are cool to see...
Even more fun to chase.

Once on a stormchase i saw 10 in a 3 hour period near Pratt, Ks...

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We had two at least different ones in parts of town....

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pb ... GECAROUSEL

And contrary to the new blurb above they were indeed Tornado's. I saw one form and I can tell you that it was indeed one.

One also came down the highway I live near too. A totally separate one. A barn and a couple outbuildings and some trees taken down. Lost our power for a couple hours from the trees.

Right now we are still under a watch now till 2 am.... and warnings still happening all around us. This has been going on since just after lunch and still going on.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I heard the sirens go off in Spartanburg at least twice while I was at work. Rained pretty good too.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well shortly after I wrote that I found out more damage on campus had occurred than I thought. There was a couple of power poles with transformers came down with a load of trees mixed in. I have to go over there tomorrow and see if I can spot any Transformer oil leaks but it was too wet to see anything late this afternoon. They do know one did leak some but it was, fortunately, a Non PCB one.

We also heard that the area just behind the ESSO club was damaged fairly good. Some Apartments and such just off campus but in the same general area. It appeared to have run over me, then down to what we call "The Bottoms" which is also the Football Practice field. Then crossed over the road to just the North side of the stadium and really then hit hard the InterMurral soccer field and Student parking lot next to it where it took the Trees and Power Poles down (just across the street from the Esso Club) and then it went across the road and hit those apartments and continued on to Down Town.

I imagine it traveled a couple miles and was about 1/4 mile wide when I saw it form. As it formed it looked like 8 or 10 little whisp of clouds that reached down out of the Cloud mass and danced around. Then they retracted for a minute... and then came down again and were followed but more clouds whisping down and began to form a large bowl shaped swirl. It was only half a minute before that filled in with clouds and you saw Debris start to fly out of the sides of it. Then it wobbled left for a half a minute or so... then wobbled right for a minute and then it took off and started coming right at me. Took me a minute to realize it was not getting bigger across but was getting closer. I should have some security cam footage of the debris flying around the building I can pull up tomorrow but unfortunately none of those cameras face out so they didn't capture the actual funnel. They should be impressive though. I had to call my Coworker out when I saw it starting and she also was in awe. Never having seen one form and close up like that you still know immediately what is going on. It formed perhaps a half mile away from me right in front of me in clear sight. And no.. it never made a sound at all. Completely silent. Other than when it hit the rain and the debris hitting. It was a weak one overall.

I really hate I did not snap a phone cam picture of it because I could have gotten several series of it. But I was immediately on the phone to Dispatch using it for a warning. They took it seriously and set off the Sirens within a couple minutes as it was hitting me. This part of the official release is wrong... Trained weather spotters reported the first tornado on the ground in Clemson at 2:54 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. I called it in a 2:48 because it shows that on my Phone. And while I was on the phone it showed its first debris output confirming it was now on the ground. I expect I got off the phone by 2:54. And I am not a "trained weather spotter". I am a Safety Officer for the University. So I don't know what thats all about. But... never mind I guess.

I talked to the guys next door in the waste treatment plant and they say they didn't see the funnel until they heard some debris hitting then they looked and saw the thing picking up a wall of water off the lake as it came across. Also they saw a large house boat break free from the Marina across the lake and take off up the lake out of sight. Not sure where it ended up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts