AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to go to a Bday party yesterday. The party was 2hrs drive away, up the Pa turnpike. The weather called for a coating to an inch of snow. I carpooled with 2 other friends and we were doing pretty time despite the accumulating snow. And then at about 12:30pm.......WAM! Everyone came to a screeching halt! As we found out later we were 2 miles away from a 56 car (one fatality) pileup. Also it turns out that another friend, and his family, who was also going to the same party was in the middle of that wreck. They were fine but the car was totaled. So we sat there for the next 7 hours.

Talking a long walk up and down the turnpike parking lot

Came across a band playing bag pipes!:cool:

We finally got going around 7pm when the Pa state police and PennDot moved enough cars and pulled out enough people to create a lane on the shoulder.

The cars on the left are totaled. The white one had no wheel assembly on the right (tire, hub, strut, ....all gone)

we took the next exit, (Morgantown) which was just 3 miles away and stopped at the nearest McDonalds. That place was swamped, completely packed with all those who were stuck with us on the west bound side of the turnpike. Luckily a cop happened to walk in to order food and mentioned that the exit to the East bound (the way to go home) was closed. We had to find alternative routes, trough little towns and little snow covered roads in the hills of Pa. Long story short I got home around 11pm.

Here's what I learned.
1) women freak out almost immediately. A traffic jam is equivalent to an attack by Nazi Zombies from space. We might as well have dug our own graves right than and there. Everything was an OMG!! .....OMG there are no indoor facilities.....OMG we will get buried by the snow. They were calling for up to 6in of snow :rolleyes:.....OMG we will freeze to death and run out of gas. We were in a Prius with a3/4 full tank! .....OMG we are going to starve to death. There was panic and crying and I was sorry I didn't bring my gun so that I could put myself out of my misery. Partially why I took long walks in the freezing snow.

2) have some simple stuff in the car for just in case. This would not have helped me in this situation because I wasn't in my car but having some blankets, and extra pair of socks, maybe an MRE or two. Maybe some fire staring material and some small water purification. We were along the turnpike and there was plenty of wood if for some reason you'd need a fire and snow can be melted to drink but there was also a creek nearby.

3) never eat at a fast food place. Yesterday I was reminded of why I haven't been in a fast food joint in a decade. Good it tasted ....well un natural.

4) hearing protection against those who freak out

5) although I didn't need it, a gun is still a useful tool especially when spending a day with thousands of total strangers. Everyone was cool and all but you never know.

6) liquor. Might not be a bad idea to have. Good to pass the time :) and I'm pretty sure that someone had to have some type of food and nothing gets a party started like liquor.

so today I called out and slept in

·
Banned
950 Posts
There is no one I like enough to drive two hours to their birthday party, let alone- in a snow storm.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasn't supposed to snow a lot, just flurries to maybe an inch and I don't mind the drive. Friends are friends.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
I drove though some of that yesterday too. Wasn't fun at all. Luckily I went through before that mess.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
I've had more than a few snow "experiences" on the PA Turnpike as well. Glad it all turned out ok for you.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Been there done that. Made it 7hrs and 45 minutes on an 8 hour trip and bam. DONE. Only had 15 minutes to go, but 2 jack knifed rigs shut it down for 4 hours. Good thing I wasn't running on E which I'm prone to do.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Classic man haha, this had me dying laughing last night

I drive up to Allentown every saturday just about to take my aunt/uncle on errands, and I used to have to drive to the end of the turnpike (Clark's Summit) every week or 2. I've easily got 60,000 miles on the turnpike, and I'm convinced it has taken 10 years off my life at the very least

I won't recount the horrors of this one particular trip, but being stuck with my girl at the time on 476 for 6 hours one day after a 18-wheeler flipped while she was on her rag will haunt me for the rest of my life. And of course it was my fault for telling her I wasn't taking a "short" cut that added 70 miles to the trip before we left.

My buddy was driving home a month ago in heavy heavy fog real late at night. A girl's car had died in the right lane at a part of 476 at the end of a long curve. She thought it would be smart to stop in the middle of the lane as the car was dying, turn her flashers on, and wait in her car for help. My friend hit her going 80 miles per hour. Both cars set on fire. He's lucky to be alive!

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Thanks for the great reminder of why I don't live up north anymore.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Be careful out there, fellas...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts