AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Nice find! I'd like to see more headlines of that significance during my lifetime. These days it’s all about Brittany Spears. .

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
It's called "VJ day"

My how the media forgets history sometimes...

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
My grandpa was in the Pacific when the Japanese surrendered.

He was 34 when he enlisted in the Seabees, with a wife and 3 sons, and now he could finally go home to them.

He was a geat guy.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
VJ Day is an easy one for me to remember. My step Dad served in the Pacific. And it was 29 years ago today that I joined the Navy myself! A good anniversary!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
This day is overlooked because its not PC .. A island nation that is located in Asia that will remain nameless in this post would like the world to forget they were the bad guys once upon a time. Also there's that nuclear bombing thing ...very very bad PC .. so what if it saved a few hundred thousand American lives. Yep its an interesting world we live in. GOD forbid the truth may offend somebody...oppps...I said the G word my apologies.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
gundoc said:
This day is overlooked because its not PC .. A island nation that is located in Asia that will remain nameless in this post would like the world to forget they were the bad guys once upon a time. Also there's that nuclear bombing thing ...very very bad PC .. so what if it saved a few hundred thousand American lives. Yep its an interesting world we live in. GOD forbid the truth may offend somebody...oppps...I said the G word my apologies.
"In an age of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
I have a great uncle who was in the Navy in the South Pacific, and my maternal grandfather was in the Army Air Corps also in the South Pacific.

I never really new my grandfather, he died when I was 3, but he took some outstanding photos of his time in Papua New Guinea and the Phillipines.

My great uncle is a very soft spoken man, never really talks about what he saw, but he did tell my father about one time they were on a beach and some Zeroes came in and started straffing them, killing some of their guys. Within 2 minutes some Lockheed P-38 Lightnings came in and blew the Zeroes out of the sky. He said those P-38's were the most beautiful sight he'd ever seen in his life.

:thumbsup:

Hi res pic here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Planes/?action=view&current=P-38Lightning.jpg

·
Registered
132 Posts
Templar said:
I have a great uncle who was in the Navy in the South Pacific, and my maternal grandfather was in the Army Air Corps also in the South Pacific.

I never really new my grandfather, he died when I was 3, but he took some outstanding photos of his time in Papua New Guinea and the Phillipines.

My great uncle is a very soft spoken man, never really talks about what he saw, but he did tell my father about one time they were on a beach and some Zeroes came in and started straffing them, killing some of their guys. Within 2 minutes some Lockheed P-38 Lightnings came in and blew the Zeroes out of the sky. He said those P-38's were the most beautiful sight he'd ever seen in his life.

Hi res pic here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Planes/?action=view&current=P-38Lightning.jpg
the p-38 was a outstanding plane and the pilots that flew those planes where great men

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
gundoc said:
i can't help but wonder about the real world utility of "political correctness"

i don't like to offend or generalize, but i don't like to lie either. it's a fine line.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Well, how ironic! I just got back from taking two old front page newspaper headlins of the WWII Nazi and Japanese surrenders to be framed. I found them along with numerous other cool stuff my Grandfather had stored in a shed. Especially great was finding his too cruise books I thought were lost. They are full of great photos with all his personal notes. He served on the USS Essex for the entire war!! Here is a short history of the Essex
I remember like it was yesterday of sitting on his lap as he told me about the Kamikaze that nearly took that great ship out.

CV9, 1942 to 1947

The Carrier CV9; Carried the name ESSEX into duty as the lead ship of the Essex Class Carriers of World WarII. Commissioned in December 1942, she reported to the Pacific Fleet following shakedown cruises and embarked on a series of victories that would finally take her to Tokyo Bay. As flagship of Task Force 14, ESSEX struck Wake Island in October 1943, launched an attack on the Gilbert Islands, and participated in the amphibious assault against Tarawa in November, then moved on to the Marshall Islands, Truk and the Marianas, Saipan, Tinian and Guam in early 1944. After her first overhaul, she returned to the Pacific, continuing her frontline action. In late 1944, for the first time in her far ranging operations, ESSEX received injury. A Kamikaze hit the port edge of her flight deck, striking among planes gassed for takeoff, causing extensive damage, killing 15 and wounding 44. It didn't cramp her style - In a short time she was back in action and she took part in the final telling raids against the Japanese home islands. Essex earned 13 Battle Stars for her service in the Pacific - The most of any ship in her class. The Navy's Top ACE, and the Navy's First Hellcat Ace, flew from the ESSEX flight deck - 57 ACEs flew from the deck of ESSEX. She was decommissioned in 1947, then modernized and recommissioned in 1951.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Dad joined the Navy on this Day in 1945!

With the end of hostilites, he was allowed to serve on the
same ship as his brother, my Uncle George. They both were
on the heavy cruiser USS Saint Paul. The gunnery on the Saint
Paul was such that Admiral Halsey was going to make it his
flagship for the upcoming invasion of Japan, but the war's end
put paid to that. My dad likes to relate how the veteran AA gunners
no longer shot at the towed target sleeves; they would aim for
the towing cable! After a while, they always put the Saint Paul
at the END of the line during AA practice.

In addition to my Uncle George being in the Navy, my Dad's eldest
brother John served in the 3rd Marine Division on Iwo. My Dad worked
at Mitchell Field, L.I., NY until he was old enough to enlist.

Oh, yes, my Dad's birthday is..............................December 7th.
No Shit, Pearl Harbor Day was his 14th Birthday.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
My grandfather fought on Iwo Jima and he still will not talk about it. He recieved a purple heart from that battle.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Templar said:

One of my favorites, thanks for the picture.
Wasn't our the top ace in the Pacific theater, flying a P38?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts