AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't stop thinking about the VEPR K that i am gonna purchase when they become available.

I know i do want a muzzle brake but i need some advice: get it installed at RobArms with their method, or find a gunsmith myself to thread the barrel.

Any suggestions?

G

·
0 Posts
cnow, there are a couple things to think about. First, if you want a brake and only a brake, have RA install one on will cost you $50. They are rock solid, and work great. The only draw back is that you can't just swap muzzle devices back and forth.
If you opt to thread the barrel, the cost will be greater. The barrel on a Vepr is 15.5mm, slightly larger than the 14mm standard barrels. In order to thread them to accept standard muzzle devices you must first turn the barrel down to 14mm, then thread. The other option is to buy a thread adapter from Kreb's Custom and ream it out to fit the Vepr barrel, press it on with a hydraulic press, drill a hole and install a sping loaded detent pin in the FSB and then weld or pin the adapter. Then you still have to buy the brake.
IMO if you are not a smith, I would use the RA brake. It will save you enough money to buy lots of ammo, and it works great.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
it's actually not pinned, they just drill some dimples in the end and the brake attaches with setscrews. it's a nice setup but if you decide to thread later you can pull the brake, sell it, and i'm sure the dimples will go away when the threading done.

edit- oop bigger is right, gotta turn down the barrel too.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
cnow, I would go with BiggerStick's recommendation and have RobArms install it. Only problem is how long you will have to wait. I wish someone else handled the importing of Veprs. I ordered a 7.62 when it was still listed as in stock on website. While waiting for the 7.62 I decided to order a 5.45 since they were "in stock". After 2 months I phoned Ty who said the 5.45 was being shipped as we spoke. I will believe it when I have the rifle in hand. I told him to cancel the 7.62 as I bought one on GunBroker. I bought my 223 Vepr on GB also. I love these rifles but dealing with the current importer is getting old fast. Get that Vepr cnow. You won't regret it. Apologies to BiggerStick if this post was inappropriate. :sad:

G

·
0 Posts
veprx3 said:
Apologies to BiggerStick if this post was inappropriate. :sad:
No apology needed. We want members on this site to express their true feelings about products and the companies that handle them. That's one of the great things about a totally free site, theres no advertising to lose. I personally agree with you about RA, and have some serious issues with the way they do business.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
No apology needed

Thanks BiggerStick! Guess RA has too many irons in the fire right now. I look forward to your posts here and on RA Vepr forum.

Regards,

Veprx3 :smile:

G

·
0 Posts
And veprx3, we're glad to have you. Hell, Im happy to have our own little corner down here!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Big and everyone.....looks like i will go with the RobArms install.

I dont plan on swapping out muzzle devices, but i wanted something solid... and it sounds like the brake installed by RobArms is.

Thanks again.

G

·
0 Posts
Listen guys, I would also like for you to look at FBMG's prices for a Vepr. They have a great reputation and the best prices. It will save you some money.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
FBMG

FBMG's site is good. Regarding Veprs they say they will get'em in "whenever the Russians feel like sending them!" :razz: I had good results with GunBroker. I will try to buy my next toy (SAIGA shotgun?) from FBMG. BiggerStick is right about good prices. I'm sure they're picking up a lot of new customers unhappy with RA.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Nice to see that I am not the only one becoming impatient with the wait for the VEPR K's in 7.62x39 and Robinson Armament's delays. Already have one from Krebs Custom with an AK-74 style muzzle brake and skeletonized stock/forearm package. Has anyone heard anything regarding an updated arrival date from RA?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see clearly understand what the skeleton stock is from RobArms... but the handguard????

Is it just the handguard that is vented?????

G

·
0 Posts
cnow said:
I see clearly understand what the skeleton stock is from RobArms... but the handguard????

Is it just the handguard that is vented?????
Yes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the reply BiggerStick....

I hope you all don't mind all the noob q's.

I wil probably be like a kid waiting for Santa till the VERP's come in.

G

·
0 Posts
cnow said:
Thank you for the reply BiggerStick....

I hope you all don't mind all the noob q's.

I wil probably be like a kid waiting for Santa till the VERP's come in.
cnow, do not ever worry about what questions you post here. This forum is for new owners and experienced owners alike. If you have any questions at all, no matter how trivial you feel they are, please ask. Everyone here started out with their first rifle, and had to ask the same questions.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Biggerstick47 and 762Bodydropper, I have seen your posts on this forum and a couple of others and am new to these forums. Kinda interested in what your opinion is regarding the Vepr series vs. the Saigas and what you find to be the best AK out there for the money. For example: If you could choose only one variant of the AK/RPK, what would it be and why? Thanks in advance for your input on this, guys.

G

·
0 Posts
THUNDERKISS said:
Biggerstick47, I have seen your posts on this forum and a couple of others and am new to these forums. Kinda interested in what your opinion is regarding the Vepr series vs. the Saigas and what you find to be the best AK out there for the money.
Personally, I think the Vepr is the best AK on the market for what I want an AK to do. I am not a collector. I do not care about traditional looks, although I think traditional AKs are beautiful. The Veprs are heavier than most AKs out there but I like the additional weight, even at the front of the gun. For me it helps to quickly raise the weapon to my line of sight naturally, without raising it too far. The Vepr feels more like a main battle rifle to me. The RPK receiver is thicker, making it stiffer. It uses a heavier barrel. Both of these add to the accuracy of the weapon. I like the furniture that Robinson Arm. is putting on the rifles. It is very comfortable and IMO an improvement over tradition furniture. I do wish the fore grip had a heat shield.

As far as a comparison with the Saiga, I think the Saigas are fine weapons. They are easier to convert to a traditional look. They are very accurate. That said, I prefer the Vepr.

You have to remember that the Vepr is essential a short barreled RPK with a slant cut receiver and different furniture.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Thunderkiss, They dont call us the GA VEPR Mafia for nothing. :wink: I appreciate that you value our opinions on these rifles. I take the same stance on the VEPR at Biggerstick. The heavier weight makes for less felt recoil and a more accurate rifle. I love the look of a traditional ak and plan on getting maybe a vector or an arsenal when I have the money laying around to collect AKs. But for now. I am mostly concerned with arming myself and my family with the Best rifle out there. Which in my opinion is the VEPR. I feel that it takes all of the qualities of an AK, being easy to learn the inner workings, reliability, ruggedness and a big fat bullett, and adds the one thing that the AK is missing...Accuracy. If you read enough on these boards people will give testimony of thier VEPRs outshooting thier ARs and even better to read is outshooting some else with an AR.
I do not have alot of experience with Saigas, but from reviews and what people have told me. They are the best bang for the buck. Inexpensive and high quality. There are members on here that can tell you all about thier Saigas. Hopefully soon I will be able to do the same.

CNOW, The only stupid question is the one that you dont ask.

You guys feel free to fire away all the questions you have. I have made it my mission in life....After the wife and kids...and school.....to learn everything there is to know about VEPRs. If I dont know the answer, I will atleast BS you to think I do....Just kidding, I will find it out. You will never get flamed by me for asking questions. I love learning almost as much as I do sharing my knowledge with others. At one time everybody was new to guns.

Only one gun......That would be my :hail: warthog......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts