AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically I want to do a relatively large investment in -74 (5.45x39) magazines. Which are considered the highest working quality? What are the pmags equivalent in the 5.45 world? No collector value necessary, just absolute reliability and durability. I hear bakelite thrown around a lot but there are so many formats and makers of "bakelite" mags that it seems muddled. In another thread people recommended steel mags but that seemed counter-intuitive, since at least with my -47 mags, my Bulgarian waffle's are significantly more durable then any of the steel mags.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I personally would stay away from the pmags. I would go with Russian, bulgarian, E.German if your going the bakalite. Copes dist and ORF still are selling Russian plum 74 mags. Any good E. Commie block steel mags are good too. I belive a few vendors have the steel 74 mags.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, to be clear, I was refering to pmags as in Magpul's product for AR15's, pmags. You may of thought I was referencing promags.

·
Banned
2,606 Posts
If I had to pick one model in particular, I'd have to put my money on the plum soviet made mags. They are lighter than the steel ones, and they look cool (I love the plum color), plus they are fairly cheap. If your heart is set on bakelite, then go for the E. German ones, as they are easy to find. Hope I am of some help.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
"Whatever".

Seriously, I would go for Polish, Russian, or Bulgarian polymer magazines. Why? They are slightly lighter, they are less brittle than bakelite, and bakelite contains arsenic in it- which isn't really a big deal unless it cracks or gets sanded, in which case, it matters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got 4 different types. I find myself using my Russian Plums the most. I just like them. I have 5 or 6 E German that will only load 28rds, but never failed.

I have Bulgy Circles, E German Bakelights, Russian Bakelights and Russian plums.

I've never tried any of the aftermarket mags.

I was told to stay away from anything non military and the bulgarian mags with the bullets on them.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
"best" is completely subjective, what people are talking about here is "favorites", which is also quite subjective. Any milsurp mag will work above and beyond what your level of use will be.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
All of the military type mags are in similar quality and offer similar reliability. I find myself using black Bulgarian mags the most.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I use the Russian Plums and East German Bakelites, I sold off all of my Bulgarian 30 round 5.45 magazines

1 - 11 of 11 Posts