AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i cant afford 7.62x39 any more... the prices are way to high!!! :evil:

please tell me the cost of loading my own will be cheaper!? ive never loaded ammo before, please tell me what ill need and where i can get it for a decent price.

thank you :hail:

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
7.62x39 is one of the few cartridges that it's not cheaper to load for, even at today's inflated prices. Assuming that you already have the brass cases, the price of bullets plus primers plus powder is about the same as the Russian steel cased stuff you can get. Now, if you're interested in making better quality ammo, that's a whole 'nuther story.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm looking at .186 a round next week when bullets arrive , and figure .132 a round when my casting molds from a group buy arrive

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
angus6 said:
I'm looking at .186 a round next week when bullets arrive , and figure .132 a round when my casting molds from a group buy arrive
thats not bad considering the average prrice per round is now .25-.30 cents a shot and that doesnt include shipping.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I started to just ferret away all the 7.62x39 I can, I'm not even shooting it anymore. We did go by Bass Pro Shop and buy a bunch of stuff, we're going to start reloading .308 today, maybe some pistol rounds. I can reload .308 for about .13 a round.

·
Registered
727 Posts
And where do you expect to get the fix'ns to do that

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Necro posting is the new in thing.

I often wish we had a separate dedicated reloading subsection on the forum. Sure it's cool to talk about commercial and military ammo and while my ammo fort is built with it, I love having the ability to reload for every caliber I shoot, except .22lr.

I've been at it for a little over twenty years and reload about twenty calibers. It's kind of like building your own firearm you learn so much about whichever piece you are loading for and cartridge's ins and outs.

The best time to get into the hobby is always now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I recently got into reloading too. Finding the components is a little challenging, and I from what I see available around here, it's not cheaper to reload 7.62 for me. The cheapest projectiles I have seen in stock recently were like $40 ish for 100, so that's 0.40 right there. A pound of powder is around 35ish, and at around 17 gr, that's about 0.08. Primers are like gold. I picked up a hundred for $9, so that's about 0.09 each. Then you have the brass. Mine was given to me from a friend, but I only have 100ish. So with free brass I'm at 0.57 CPR. Now, if I can find cheaper projectiles, or primers, that obviously comes down.
But here's how I look at it. I can build assemble a glock or an AR. I've built AKs. I should build my own ammo too, and it gives me more knowledge, and I can customize rounds so that they are more accurate than I am.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I recently got into reloading too. Finding the components is a little challenging, and I from what I see available around here, it's not cheaper to reload 7.62 for me. The cheapest projectiles I have seen in stock recently were like $40 ish for 100, so that's 0.40 right there. A pound of powder is around 35ish, and at around 17 gr, that's about 0.08. Primers are like gold. I picked up a hundred for $9, so that's about 0.09 each. Then you have the brass. Mine was given to me from a friend, but I only have 100ish. So with free brass I'm at 0.57 CPR. Now, if I can find cheaper projectiles, or primers, that obviously comes down.
But here's how I look at it. I can build assemble a glock or an AR. I've built AKs. I should build my own ammo too, and it gives me more knowledge, and I can customize rounds so that they are more accurate than I am.
So wait until people stop panicking and prices come down and availability is up. I am getting into reloading now not necessarily for cost but because I have guns in odd calibers like 9mm Largo and 7.7 Jap that when ammo panicking is not going on is hard to find. Some are expensive too. A bought a box of 7.7 Jap a few years back for $40 for 20 rounds of Norma.

Reactions: JeepFan
1 - 10 of 10 Posts