AK Rifles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to tighten up an under-folding stock on a milled M64. It has an inch-or-so of up/down movement at the butt when locked into position. I do understand that a small amount of play at the hinge equates to a large amount of movement at the other end.

Is there a way of getting these stocks to lock up tighter and more firm at the hinge?

·
Technical Advisor
15,507 Posts
Vertical play is due to worn lugs and receiver locking cuts. Very little short of welding and/or replacing the left & right locking rings with new ones., will solve a good portion of vertical play.
Over time the entire assembly/stock starts to loosen.
The M64., 3/6 rivet version underfolder was later replaced on the M70AB2 stamped rifle by the more rigid and reinforced 4/8 rivet version
Tightening the pivot bolt nut on the right side will take out a bit of general slop but not solve vertical play.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For posterity, I thought I'd update this project for others who might have similar issues...

I measured the up and down play on my original under-folding M64 stock, and had 4-degrees of up/down play at the butt-plate. Yuck!

So I purchased one of the complete Polish under-folding hinge mechanisms (not the arms or stock) from an armorer's kit, and retrofitted the new stuff with the old stuff onto my Yugo M64...

Fixed it! Now there is only a tad bit of up/down play in the stock (> 1-degree), which arguably is needed to actuate the stock after the release button is pressed. Solid lock-up too with no modifications needed. Improved the weapon's functionality immensely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts