AK Rifles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of mine stopped by yesterday evening with a TGI Bulgy 74 he had just bought @ J & G Sales (we both live within a half hour of their store). He asked for my opinion on the piece. I looked it over and it appeared to be well put together from one of the better Bulgy 74 parts kits on a NDS-AK74 receiver. I noted the TAPCO G2 trigger did not have that longer draw before release, but had a short pull & crisp release. I found the bolt tended to stay open after cocking to the rear as well (but was not locked). I looked inside the receiver & noticed a white metal plate on the left side with a yoke @ the forward end. I surmise this is some sort of pin/spring retention plate, but don't recall seeing it in any other rifles. The owner asked about the barrel. Being the rifle was new, I could not tell if it had a HCF barrel or not. However, in looking down the bore I did not see that chrome-shine one would expect to see if it were chrome lined. Does anyone know whose barrels they may have used on these? I think he said the rifle retailed @ $700.00 & with tax ran him close to $770.00 OTD. There was no scope rail, the muzzle-brake was an orig CL/ZZ, and the rifle came w/a TAPCO waffle mag. No cleaning kit, no sling, no instructions, no warranty...just a rifle in a cardboard box. Pistol grip was a black, 922r USA . Stocks were pretty nice wood. He said J & G brought out a selection of 3 rifles for him to choose from.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Back when TGI first started building I looked at one. The builder didn't press the four most forward front trunnion rivets enough. This resulted in the barrel hitting the bottom of the rivets as it was pressed in. They ended up being tilted slightly. They became aware of this problem and addressed it. Still, I'd check the rivets all around to make sure they appear uniformly pressed. As for the barrel, my guess is that it's US made and not chrome lined. I would for sure want a chrome lined barrel if I am going to shoot the corrosive military surplus 5.45x39 in it. So, I'd recommend that he'd only shoot the commercial non-corrosive stuff in it. Either that or absolutely clean the snot out of it after he shoots the military surplus ammo.

Since it appears to be a US barrel, you might consider checking the headspace if you have access to headspace gauges. Other than that, the ultimate test is how it shoots. Let us know.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. To my recollection the rivets looked uniform and did not appear sloppy. I spoke to one of the guys behind the counter when I stopped by last weekend to get a flyer from J & G. I asked the salesman if he could tell me if the barrel was chrome-lined or not. He picked up a rifle ready to box up for shipment and looked at the chamber area. He said it was C L, denoting a slight difference in the metal color of the chamber (duller) with brighter metal @ six O-Clock on the barrel (feed ramp). I wasn't convinced. Thought I could glean something from the TGI website. Other than reference to some Post-'86 Class III Bulgy '74s and a standard semi-auto '74 they referred (in past tense) to as a "Truk Gun", I learned nothing. Will see if I can get my friend out to the range to run his rifle before the weather turns.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts