AK Rifles banner

Thoughts on M4 stock adapters..

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jonm78 
#1 ·
Seems that the most popular ones are indeed Rifle Dynamics and JMAC. Definitive arms also makes them. I believe all the aforementioned mount at about the same height. This height is optimized for optics, and are especially better for raised optics. But, it is my finding that the height makes it harder and slower to use irons. You must adjust your head position.

The VLTOR seems to not get much press and was an early system. It got some good reviews then fell into the 'not as popular' bucket. This stock is about the same height as a standard AK stock and lets you use the irons and lower optics easily. It is more a chin weld for higher optics.

I think it would be great if someone make one 'in between' - split the difference.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
I can raise my head to use an optic but I cannot crush my cheek bones down low enough to use irons if the stock prevents it. I tried the Definitive Arms M4 stock adapter and it was very good quality, easy to install, but too high.

I did end up getting a VLTOR RE-47 stock adapter. Much better as it is cake to install, you don't even need a M4 buffer tube, has built in QD on either side, has an internal sealed storage compartment and allows the stock to sit nice and low for use with irons. I also like that it's made of 7075 T6 aluminum so quite strong.

TDI makes a similar version minus the QD and storage, but sits nice and low like the VLTOR. You can find that here: AKST - AK Buffer Tube for STAMPED Receiver - Tdi Arms

#3 · (Edited)
jonm78: Thanks MUCH for the comment. I would tend to agree that the higher types make irons a bit harder to use than I would like. I do think that are much more robust in the way they mount.

I feel like trying the one from TDI arms - it looks like it goes well into the stock channel which may give you a more secure mounting. In fact, this MAY be the best one given it sits lower and has better lockup.

#5 ·
I am still a bit torn - the higher ones do make use of an optic easier. They do make it tougher but not impossible to use irons - I am noticing that if using irons and the front post is too high, it gets pretty hard.

Almost NO ONE in reviews talks about this. I did find ONE comment I think from Robski as tp the early RD adapters being way too high. I think there is basically no height difference between the JMAC, DA, and RD adapters. JMAC touts use with irons, but again, its a stretch and it depends on front post height.

#6 ·
It's easier to bring your head up to use optics though. You can always add a cheek riser for optics.

It's just impossible to push your skull lower into a stock that won't allow it. It also depends on your cheek bones, etc on whether the JMAC, DA and RD adapters allow you to use irons. For me the DA adapter didn't work at all for allowing cheek weld with irons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.