AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The infamous "post count" - it's been with us for a very long time and it seems so natural. Yet, I wonder what is the point, really?

Does it matter how high somebody's public post count is? Most of us are refugees from ArfCom, I would dare say over there that, yes, your post count does in fact have an implied meaning as to one's status or "pecking order" in the forums.

Does a guy with 2500 posts know what he's talking about more than the guy with 250 posts? Some would vehemently argue "yes" and some would just as vehemently argue "no."

If public displays of post counts were to go away, then one would need to base their judgement of a particular post 100% on the post's merit, instead of "Wow, this guy has 15,000 posts, he must know what he's talking about."

Just some random food for thought. I don't even know if it's possible to disable the public post count feature on this forum. Might make for an interesting social experiment, though.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I kinda take it with a grain of salt.....There are a few member over at ARFcom, that will remain unnamed. That has been a member of arfcom since like 2002 and is now only 19, and has like 10 thousand posts, Comes into forums spouting off stuff that he has heard as his own knowledge. But He couldnt even own a firearm untill a year or so ago.....NO I didnt listen to him and for the ARFcom members you knwo how his conversations went on the AK side. Then you have people like me, I have owned an AK for 10 years, Not alot to some people here, But more than most. I have shot AKs from many different countries and seen how they perform under the worst conditions, even after having the furniture burned off. WhenI first came onto arfcom, in august I think, People were all like Yeah whatever, you dont know what your talking about.

The most important part is, are thier posts informative, do they add something to the conversation, and are they actually trying to learn. Thats what I look at in the posts, not the count. Now If I see some post thats full of nonsense about AKs, Or that makes me think "Damn this guy knows his shit!' Thats when I look over to the post count, just out of curiosity. I usually dont even look at the names of the posters, I just read through the threads unless I see something that makes me wonder who wrote it.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Post count is irrelevant in relation to the knowledge of the poster.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Thekatar,I use the post counts as a tool.For most of our Members it does'nt matter but when I'm reviewing our Memberlist and find someone who has slipped in under the radar,for example- "imheretofuckwithyou",I'll check their post count and see what they've posted before I pull the trigger.

Another way I use the post counts is to see who is just posting to run it up.I remember a Guy from a different board who had 6000+ posts but he had only been a Member for less than a year!

You can't judge the quality of a board by its size,the quality is what matters.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
That was one thing about my post count on arfcom that I was proud of..Every one of em were in a firearm related forum..I didn't get a high post count by posting in the general discussion, or the religion forum, or the team forum or bear pit like a lot of em over there, I saw a lot of their forums as a waist of bandwidth really..It was either learning about a firearm or helping someone else learn something new...

Any idiot can live on a computer and have a huge post count and still don't know shit....

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jicky said:
Any idiot can live on a computer and have a huge post count and still don't know shit....
And there you have it.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
Thekatar said:
Jicky said:
And there you have it.
HEY!...I resemble that remark! :goof:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
7.62BD...That un-named 19 year old actually has over 20,000 posts.
I ran the #'s once, average of nearly 15 per day! :shock: No life off line, no brains online.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Post count is pretty much useless these days. Hell, I saw one guy make a post in the handgun forum; he had over 8000 post and it was his first post in a "technical" forum!

There's another clown over there that is up to 75 post per day. He is either the most knowledgeable firearms guy on the plant or spitting out dribble...I tend to think it's the latter.

G

·
0 Posts
When someone reaches a post count close to 10,000 in 6 months of being on a forum they really have nothing to say.

I read one guys post on the AK47 forum once passing himself off as an expert, I called him on it and posted that he had just bought his first SAR a couple months before. He went off saying I didn't know shit about him.

I went and did a search of the archive and earlier posts from him where he said he didn't know the first thing about AK's and had never shot or owned one before. Never saw him on the site again.

How someone keeps a 40+ a day post average is beyond me. I just went over 2500 in 4 years and I spend way too much time posting.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Thats probably the best use of a post count,it can work against someone!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
1 quality post is worth 1000 bullshit posts, that serve no other purpose other than to see one's name on the computer screen.

You can usually tell real quick is someone is full of shit and them selves. But don't worry about it, let those guys live in thier own little world...It'll be that much better when it all comes crashing down.

·
Registered
621 Posts
No you do it on this site :wink: . many people on this site know who I am speaking of........And come to think of it After that last little fallout on the ak side of arfcom.....I havent seen him around anymore. I am glad hes not an ak guy, or he would be over here bothering the shit out of us! He was a "Jackoff" who would have never made it 30 seconds in "Combat"! :wink:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Age and post count don't mean jack.

I know of guys who are dang war vets who bought AKs, bought ammo, and then couldn't figure out why their ammo wouldn't fit in the mags. "I swear guys, the rifle is 7.62mm and the ammo is 7.62mm, I don't understand whats wrong!"

Not dissing on anyone but regardless of age or count some people just don't know what they are doing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts