AK Rifles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I'm probably wrong but I thought a ruling on Wickard v Filburn was in bound this session.

If it gets struck down, oh man. Much less big .gov and much more as founded freedom for all.

Not a great source but a quick intro, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickard_v._Filburn.
I did not know that case was being heard. It would be great if that was overturned.

In more great news, SCOTUS ruled today in favor of a public high school coach who was fired for praying after football games. The school told him to stop. He refused and was fired.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
It is the silver bullet, but it will take a couple years for the whole effect to come to fruition.

Maryland's assault weapon ban is up for consideration by the Supreme court this fall. It'll either get taken up, which would likely freeze any 2A related cases again, or punted back down to re-rule with the new precedent from Bruen. If it gets taken up by SCOTUS, that is all assault weapon bans gone by June next year. If it gets punted, the lower court will be forced to rule in favor of the 2A by the current precedent, and the state will almost certainly not appeal to avoid it getting slapped down and have all AWBs be struck down nation wide.

In the next 6 months to a year the CA mag ban, assault weapons ban, and handgun roster will be heard and decided via this precedent. If the 9th finally takes the hint, the state will lose all of these cases. Likely they will not appeal to prevent them from going to the supreme court and just take the L in the 9th. In the event the 9th completely defies Thomas's opinion, it'll get appealed and taken up by the supreme court. This would drag the process out, but it would completely end any state attempts at blanket bans for good. Liberals will begin to stop appealing when they lose to try and prevent it from going higher up the chain.

So I give it 2 years tops before assault weapon bans, mag bans, etc... are completely illegal. Either by way of the supreme court or because the 2nd and 9th give up.

By the time this rolls around, I also expect lawsuits involving the NFA to be in the works. That will be extra spicy since it will never pass the test that Thomas's opinion mandates. This is because they'll have to look at history, text, and tradition prior to 1934, and before that there was literally nothing. They cant use any history, text, or tradition that post-dates the law under consideration. That would rip the NFA out by the roots.

I am quite confidant that we'll have unrestricted machine guns, SBRs, suppressors, etc... within 5 years. The only thing that might survive scrutiny is the $200 tax stamp, and that is quite marginal.
Don’t be surprised if the gun grabbers are working on a way to stop this. One way would be to pack the supreme court.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I am not as optimistic. Every elected official can be a Republican and they still would not do the right thing. Way too many RINOs. 14 GOPers voted for more gun control.

How many times has the GOP controlled the White House, the House, and the Senate and still did not do the right thing. Whether it is illegal immigration, spending, or any number of issues. Many times GOP says wait until we control of whatever, to do something. They need to fight constantly, even if they are in the minority.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Here is some optimism. SCOTUS said lower courts should take a new look at several cases that have been awaiting action by the Supreme Court in the states of Hawaii, California, Maryland, and New Jersey.

The cases are for an assault weapons ban, high capacity magazines, and about carrying outside the home.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I'm sure those state's AG's are already hard at work...
In New York, lawmakers not the AG, is already hard at work. NY lawmakers introduced a bill today to not allow concealed carrying of guns in a “sensitive location” creating gun-free zones in places including the subway, trains, buses and ferries, government buildings, houses of worship, schools, libraries, public playgrounds, public parks, zoos, homeless shelters, and polling places.

The bill would also ban carrying of guns on private property unless signs are posted stating guns are allowed.

NY lawmakers also want to create two databases. One database would be a statewide license and record database. The other would require dealers to keep records of gun and ammo sales.

Gov. Kathy Hochul said lawmakers to "go right up to the line" with gun control laws after the SCOTUS ruling ended “may issue” permits.

Reactions: esh21167

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
In Cali there was an “accidental” leak of names, addresses, driver license numbers, and other private info of gun owners from a gun data base. The leak exposed all info of people who applied for a carry permit from 2011 to 2021. 244 judges and 420 reserve officers info were also exposed.

Information was compromised from the contents of five other gun registries, including the Assault Weapon Registry, Handguns Certified for Sale, Dealer Record of Sale, Firearm Certificate Safety and Gun Violence Restraining Order.

CA DOJ is investing. We know how this will go. Nothing will happen to the leaker just like nothing happened with the SCOTUS leaker.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I was listening to a replay of Dan Bongino since it is a holiday. He was talking about the SCOTUS ruling on the EPA. Basically SCOTUS said Congress has to pass legislation and not let a bureaucracy make regulation. Politicians blame government agencies for bad mandates when it is Congress’s job to pass laws and put their name on it.

This ruling should be applied to all agencies like the ATF since the ATF thinks it can just make any regulation effecting gun rights like the bump stock ban.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Indeed. The EPA ruling will be a sleeper precisely because it can be used to gut the ATFs constant changing of their terms and definitions. No longer can they call an Apple a Potato and get away with it.
I hope you are right. It would be nice to start turning things around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts