AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a couple boxes in from CA today. I got one of their 24/47 Yugo Mauser colllector's packages. (I got this thing for Yugo guns. :smile: )
It really IS like new! Bright shiny bore with sharp rifling. Finish is like 99% and the wood is beautiful as well. Much like the Yugo SKS, the machine work and blueing are just great. I was really surprised at the quality I see here from a post war commie gun. Light and crisp trigger too.
I know it's not as collectible as a real WWII battle rifle. But I wanted a shooter and these seemed to provide good value that way. I'm very pleased, its a beaut! I will get photos for y'all soon.
Another nice surprise was the "good shooter's" grade Yugo 59/66 SKS I ordered in for my son. It was $89. Frankly, it's better than the "VG" junkers I was seeing recently at the gun shows! It has no matching numbers. But the finish is a nice 90%. Still looks very good. The bore is frosted lightly all over, but no bad pitting. I gave it a good scrubbing to see how it's look. Very sharp rifling. And still lightly frosted. Aw well. Not anything like the unissued SKS I bought last year, but that one was alot more money. I wanted a shooter to be a project for my son. It has a very nice solid stock though. Two small and nicely done arsenal repairs. The serial number on the stock was roughly scraped off. But not deeply. I think if he steams it and sands and oils it, it'll look pretty nice! I'd say it was better than I expected and a good bargain.
CA was a pleasure to deal with too. I ordered late Friday, they shipped yesterday and it was here today.
Hope y'all have a good week too! :cool:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
HEY!!! Where is your Nagant revolver?

Shame on you!

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nagant revolver?!! Eichk! :neutral:
Very cool old gun. Fascinating gas seal system. But it's DA trigger makes my P64 look good by comparison. Shooting it in SA was OK. But using .32 long rounds meant no good gas seal and I got sprayed with stuff a couple times shooting it. One burning ember hit my ear and bit me good. To me they're more a collectible than a shooter. But my buddy loves it! He's had it for some years now.
A C&R was pretty easy to apply for. I'd recomend them to anyone who likes the old guns.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's some photos of my new Mauser and the Mosin 91/30.
The wood on this Mauser is just awesome. I found myself wanting to hold it out in the sun and study the grain. Geez, you'd think it was a beautiful woman or something! That's a definate sign I'm a gun geek. :goof:

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do the FN markings look like?
Tis ones pretty clean but for the Yugo commie crest. The stock has more markings than the reciever.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Sidecar, I also have a thing for Yugo guns. Yugo rifles have some of the nicest wood out there in surplus. I keep getting drawn to anything Yugo that comes out on the market. Your two new ones look great.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the photos only the Mauser is a Yugo. My Yugo SKS isn't in this photo. The Mauser's wood is beautiful. It just has an oil finish to seal it. Nothing else.
The other rifle is my 1943 re-arsenaled Mosin 91/30. It has a beautiful beech wood stock, but it's color comes from the shellac on the wood. There are a few small worn areas where the shellac is scraped and you can see the much lighter beech wood under the finish.
Both are beautiful rifles. I'll be taking the Mauser to the range Saturday to try it out. But the Mauser comes by it's looks more "honestly" than the Mosin does. What wood you see really IS the wood! My only treatment to it was to rub it down with some Ballistol oil, wait a few minutes and buff it off. It glows in the light like good furniture!
That's the same treatment I gave my Yugo SKS. It doesn't have the great color the Mauser does, it's a natural blonde :wink: , but it has a beautiful grain to it for beech wood.
All I had to do to the Mauser was a field strip and clean & inspect. It had already been pretty well cleaned before it was shipped here. Bore & chamber look new. Reciever may have been used before in another gun as it's dated 1944. (Weren't these supposedly built in 1947 as 1927 Mauser clones?) Hey, if I'm wrong, straighten me out! I don't have the collector book for these yet. There is very light "buffing" on the bolt sides where you can tell it has been worked back & forth some. Testing & fitting? It is very light so it suggests testing vice use. The fitting is tighter than the used Mauser actions I have worked and looked at at shows and shops. The bolt face where it contacts the round has a little "ring" the diameter of a primer cap etched into it with tiny pits marking the ring area. They are about .002" deep as you can barely feel them with a steel pick. It's so light it looks like dirt you could wipe off. A light scrubbing revealed that it is a ring of tiny pits. Test firing marks in it from a corrosive primer? I dunno. The rest looks new. Only a few tiny handling dings. Those are perfectly in fitting with the character of a 60 year old rifle. But all numbers on it are factory stampings that match. So I had to wonder if the action was used or old stock and then built into new rifles after the war. Regardless, at $179 & shipping I thought it was a nice value. It came with a very nice bayonet & scabbard whose numbers match each other. The leather frog and leather ammo pouch are well used, but in good shape. I treated them with Ballistol oil and they look very good now. It came with a pretty nice leather sling and a oil cloth pouch with a very unique round two sided oil can, bore rope, bore brush and a piece to fit over the bore so the stock cleaning rod won't contact the muzzle.
My son's shooter grade Yugo SKS will clean up very nicely too. It has a particularly dense and tight grained beech stock. And for only a good grade gun, the black finish is excellent. There is buffing wear to the magazine bottom (That's 90% of the visible wear right there.) and a little rubbing of hard edges at the muzzle tip and sight and other protrusions. But you get the impression that whoever soldier carried it, took care of it. He's bummed as he just got another job starting Monday and will lose his weekends again. No time to clean the rifle before we go shooting one last time Saturday before his new job starts. But he'll be out of school soon in the beginning of June. I can take him to the range during the week days after that!
I hate to say it, but my C&R stuff is getting more attention than my AKM & kits lately!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sidecarnutz said:
What do the FN markings look like?
Tis ones pretty clean but for the Yugo commie crest. The stock has more markings than the reciever.
Only the first guns were made by FN. FN then sold the machinery to the Yugo guv., who then started manf. in thier country. They will be over the factory stamping to the right of the M24/47 stamping. They tried to buff it out, so you need good light to see it. I can make out a "FAB" on the left and a "RRE" to the right. This is right above the cyrillic writing 44 stamping. They are nice rifles. I prefer it over the M48 and I have both. Mine shoots to POA with Yugo 70's ball at 85 yds.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't see any FN markings on it.
We took it to the indoor range today just to test it out. With the sight having a min. calibration of 200 meters, it did shoot 4" high at just 75'. (Duh)
If you aimed 4" below the bullseye, it'd print all five in a 2" group. That was shooting from a chair with the front of the rifle on a flimsy/bouncy rest. (Blow molded plastic table top.) Something more solid would be very helpful! Maybe I should bring my own sandbags and shoot prone?
It does make a nice "boom"! More muzzle blast than the MN 91/30 since it has a shorter barrel. The recoil is a real kick, but I would call it comfortable. That may sound like a contradiction, but it's not. The gun "fit" us both really well. The tiny sight notch isn't as nice as the Mosin's, but it has a smooth bolt and a excellent crisp trigger. It's a pleasure to shoot. Loading it is great too. Smoothest stripper clips I've ever used. This was my first time shooting a Mauser. I like it! :goof:
We used some 1950's Yugo milsurp ammo that came pre-loaded on stripper clips. I can't say it's great ammo. But they are excellent stripper clips. We had four or five failures to fire in 60 rounds! But working the bolt up & down to re-cock it wasn't too bad and they all fired on the second try. It IS putting a good dink in the primer caps. No problem with the firing pin. I'll have to try some other cheap country's surplus 8mm Mauser ammo after we use this up.
Put another 120 rounds through the AKM and 75 through the P64.
My son managed to our shoot me with both rifles. But I kicked him with the pistol. But he did win on two out of three weapons so I bought lunch.
Spent a happy hour afterwards in the shop cleaning the guns. More quality time with my son. Just another reason to love this hobby.
Hope y'all had a great Saturday too!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Nice guns. SOG Intl has some great 91/30s in laminated also. Picked up one a while back, looked new!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts