AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the crate from a guy at the range who was going to put it in the dumpster. The 1/8 board for the dividers and the 1/4 popular for the spacers was free, made out of scraps. Justa few 5/8 nails and done. It holds 10 mags loaded and 16 boxes of ammo. Total ammo count 620 rounds. Perfect for the range or a SHTF box. I love free!

· Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
I am a forager myself. My father grew up an orphan during the depression, and he taught us to be resourceful. My wife and kids are amazed that I basically fix/make anything I can.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Here's what I came up with for my 20 rounders. It holds 10 mags (only have 8, guess I'll have to buy more) and 12 boxes. 440 rounds total. Thanks Gus for the Yugo crates!

· Registered
1,871 Posts
gotta love old ammo crates and cans, so many uses. 20mm cans make great chairs haha. think im goin to do that with some of my old ammo crates

· Registered
4,321 Posts
that looks like the ammo crate palmetto state armory was shipping the pickup Yugo M67 ammo in.

· Banned
1,618 Posts
After range duty, I was emptying the trash cans and usually check for reloadable brass. Even if I do not reload the caliber, put it aside for other shooters. Once found five 1911 mags in excellent condition, three USGI, two aftermarket. Could not believe someone threw them away, they all work fine in my SA Inc.

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
Damn good idea! I have an empty Yugo 7.62x39 crate thats gonna get used now. Thanks for posting this. :beer:

· Registered
4,405 Posts
TabulaRasa said:
Gee, I always thought getting to keep the leftover crate was the best part of buying surplus ammo in bulk...

Tossing one in the dumpster? :doh:
You know the saying...one man's junk is another man's treasure. Some people just do not have the room or do not get attached to items like most of use here.

I did get a few of these crates free also. One 120mm crate which held 2rds, free in Kosovo. One large Yugo crate that held flares, free from Iraq. One 8mm, free from Bosnia.

I first crate I found in Bosnia had a pad lock added to it. I was hoping that something cool was in it. I carried it to a Bradley and used the tanker bar to bust the lock off. There was only a few peanut shells and a old sandwish inside. :grin: I laughed about that one. It must have been some fighters lunch that he was trying to keep his buddies from eating it. :smile:

· Registered
2,457 Posts
Damn, I like that. I just went and figured out that I can fit all -1 of my AR mags and all -1 of my AK mags into the crate my Polish x54r came in, with some extra room for other crap, like a box or two of .45 and 7.62x25... and to think, I had just been keeping an opened can of x54r and x39 in that crate!

Good idea!

Scott

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.