AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about buying a SLR-106FR as my local gun store has 3 in stock. What should I look for to ensure I pick out one without the feeding issues that some of these rifles have? Is there a certain range of serial numbers? Or can you tell by the muzzle brake? I know on the 107FR, I have not seen issues with canted sights for 107FRs bought with the ak-74 style muzzle brake and not the flash hider.

thanks

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Truth? You will have to test it. If you have a sympathtic dealer, it CAN be done with action proving dummies.

Now suppose you get burned by the barrel feedramp issue... all is NOT lost. The fix is really very simple, and can be done with a Dremmel tool.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Really, if you're just desperate for a 106FR, I'd wait until someone you know wants to sell his, and he lets you shoot it first.

That's the only way I'd get one.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No one I know has one. I know that there is at least 4 or 5 106's for sale over at AR15, but no way am I going to buy one from someone I don't know.

The dealer probably will let me try feeding the gun with dummy rounds. What should I look for?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
"What should I look for?"

Very easy, really. Remove Top cover, spring, bolt & carrier. Place three dummies in the mag that comes with the gun. With your fingers, run JUST THE BOLT forward, strip round 1, and see where the bullet tip goes - into the barrel? Or impacting on the side/bottom/top of the barrel face? Repeat with the other rounds, and LOOK at what they are doing.

If you get impact on the barrel face, from EITHER side of the mag? You are a candidate for the infamous 106 barrel ramp job :) Seriously - the fix is easy... I did my 106 in under 8 minutes, and it's perfect. It could care less about which generation of bulgy mag it uses, or who that mags momma was... :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've had THREE 106FR's. I'd never buy another. Sold mine after numerous issues. Too be fair, ARSENAL did repair, though whether or not some of the issues were fixed I don't know, as I sold them after I received them back. Personally, my favorite by far is ARSENAL's 107FR's, and that come's from owning almost every type of ARSENAL varient at one time or another. FWIW..... (I also noticed that the 5.56 model's tend to heat up more quickly than the 7.62X39 model's. Didn't care much for that. Even with the stainless heatshield they got hot FAST!)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback. The local shop also has two norinco's in .223. I will check those out tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't risk it, but I seem to have bad luck with Arsenals. I have a 5.56 Norinco and think that it's a good choice. It has been 100% reliable. That said, if you're stuck on getting any SLR106 series variation, I would certainly test to see if either side of the bottom of the bolt hits the magazine feed lips. There's not much room for error because the bottom of the bolt is so wide relative to the width between the magazine feed lips. Both of the 106CR's and the 106UR had this problem to some degree. I can't say if that alone caused the problems.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
I've not had issue #1 with mine, and I've used mine hard in several training classes, but I know that other's have had some.

I'd buy another, but this time I'd by the CR midlength for something different.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I got up early and went to my local dealer, 5280 Armory, to check out the two 106FR ($799 each), one 106CR ($949) and two Norinco 84S ($999 each) in 223 that they had in stock.

After looking at them all I decided that I didn't want to spend between $800 and $1000 for something that might have problems. So I asked the owner when he was getting a batch of 107 FRs in and he had just received one yesterday and had not unboxed it yet! We opened it up and it included both the 74 style muzzle brake AND a test target dated 8-7-08! So I figured it was a safe bet.

I will report how it shoots once I take it out tomorrow, but I am happy so far.

The shop also had one new milled arsenal, the SA M-7 SF but the price tag was $1,600, which is crazy. The owner did confirm that in order to get that rifle from RSR, he had to order a dealer package of like 6 rilfes which is why he has the 106FR and 106CR.

·
Banned
329 Posts
Second on the choice of SA-M5 and Norinco 84. Milled SA-M5 can be little pricy but not much. I have seen some really good deals on Norinoc 84s lately in similar price range as SLR. IMO, Norinoc gun is more sturdy with its 1.5 mm receiver. Chinese barrels are also very tough and accurate

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I see a SA-M5 for sale I will pick it up...but what is a good price for a 84S? The two my local dealer is selling are $999 and have seen little use.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
:shock: $1600 for a SA M-7 SF.
I wish the SA M-7 SF Carbine was available. I saw a pic of them in use by Bulgarian paratroopers in Iraq recently. :cool:

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Sam 5

There's a Sam5 for sale on Gunbroker for $995...as far as I'm concerned they're the best 223 ak available, period...mine runs w/o a hitch on fmj and hp and it's extremely accurate....steel case ammo is it's forte'...it dings up the brass case stuff purty bad.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Kalash said:
FokkerSF said:
What should I look for?

Thanks,
IMO, a milled SA M-5 or Norinco if you want a 5.56 AK.

Yup I have both and ZERO issues,dont plan on selling either of them..
nothing wrong with 5.56 AK's just the fact that Arsenal's QC dropped the ball

·
Banned
329 Posts
There is a BWK-92 converted to no-ban vesion for sale right now at WTS board here. It's $480 shipped with extra mags for $55 more. This is a Norinco 84-equivalent and fanstastic price. Mags alone would cost $200. It has US-made polymer furniture, another $80 value.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts