AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys this is gonna be mostly all you. I wanna hear what you thin we need and a couple reasons why. Lets not get into the obvious. GUNS, ammo, flashlights, batteries, we all know that, I mean things like steel traps, snares, chem lights and things of the sort. and if its something off the wall, give some reasons... light guage wire.....For making booby traps and early warning devices, for example. We are a conglomeration of people that have alot of knowledge....lets put it to use, I know I kinda NAZId the last couple of posts.....So it's all on you guys. Lets hear it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Good subject from a fellow Georgia boy. Canned goods. Stock up on some stable basic's. Can goods will normally last several years. Corn, Green beans, Carrotts , ect... The expirration date is on the can and normally it's good for 2 years. You can rotate and use the can goods to eat in everyday cooking and replentish your stock with newer extended dates when need be. A very good food source, and in it's own container from the elements. Just don't forget a couple of good can openers. Hope this is something you was looking for. WarDawg :neutral:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Store food in motor oil boxes. The petroleum residue will detour insects and rodents.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
A med kit, it needs sutures and something like KwikClot, because sooner or later someone is gonna take a hit and someone is gonna have to play doctor ...

If you live in the middle of a nuclear missile field like I do, you might want a Geiger Counter ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Howdy,

Well, being new on this board if I mention a couple of things that might not be too obvious to everyone, I might not get beat up too bad.

1. Clean Water, 1 to 2 gallons per person per day, at 8 pounds per gallon plus the container, if you find yourself afoot, it might not leave much weight allowance for gadgets and "what if" items.

2. Toilet paper or suitable substitute, not too heavy but bulky, another problem if afoot.

3. Soap, personal hygiene is incredibly important over the long haul, where every cut, scrape and abrasion could lead to blood poisoning or worse if not kept clean. Neither heavy nor bulky, but for some reason most people discount the importance!

4. A few pieces of 600 grit wet/dry sand paper to renew and touch up the edge on your UberMonsterSlayerundSlasher "Survival" knife when it dulls.

5. A good whistle, like the Fox 40 or similar, still the best way to signal or attract attention if within range. (Farther than you think if you've never been around one of the good ones.)

Regards,
:smile:

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
A shortwave radio...

Good for finding out what's going on in the world..."just in case".

A major disaster could disrupt normal TV/Radio service over a wide area...a battery operated shortwave receiver could prove to bequite useful for gathering information.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5 knives. Welcome to the board your not gonna get beat up, Unless you talk bad about VEPRS or Georgia......Just kidding man....Welcome, have fun, share you knowledge, and absorb some. When were you in the corps? and what units?

Stinger, Good call man, I have been eyeballingone of those combos, but I am thinking it may be too big. I may just go ith the hand charged radio. We used one in iraq to hear world news and some tunes.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Bleach and coffee filters. Use the coffee filters to clarify cloudy water, get the larger impurities out. Small quantity of bleach will kill microscopic organisms and make the water safe to drink. Please, don't quote me on this, check into it yourself. I think the formula is one teaspoon bleach per gallon of water, I have it written down in my O-SHTF trunk that is a bit of a pain to open, have to move a bunch of mags and assorted scopes. Plus bleach solutions can be used as a general disinfectant. I've got mine set aside. A person can hold out quite a while in a protected location with enough ammo and water. Without either of those zombies or dehydration can get you quick.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Bungee cords for securing any number of things like tarps for shelter or collecting rain water.

·
Registered
9 Posts
762BODYDROPPER said:
5 knives. Welcome to the board your not gonna get beat up, Unless you talk bad about VEPRS or Georgia......Just kidding man....Welcome, have fun, share you knowledge, and absorb some. When were you in the corps? and what units?

Stinger, Good call man, I have been eyeballingone of those combos, but I am thinking it may be too big. I may just go ith the hand charged radio. We used one in iraq to hear world news and some tunes.
Thank You kindly for the welcome Mr. 762BODYDROPPER.

Bad Mouth Vepr's? not a chance!

Got waay too many firearms around for any normal person, but the very last Rifle I'd ever let go is my .308 Vepr (the first version), with the excellent Russian 4x that Alex made me buy, it's a MOA or better shooter. Loves Radway Green, hates Remington 180 grain core-lokt.

Bad mouth Georgia ... Nope, only been there a few times but felt right at home.

Well, except that every time I'd try to order an after dinner Brandy, the Bartender would come over and say, "We're just out of Brandy ... What part of Wisconsin are you from?"
Seemed sort of ... ummm ... weird.

Georgia had shortage of Rye Whiskey too, but fortunately compensated by having Bourbon in plentiful supply!

USMC?

Yes Sir! 1955, then they caught me and sent me home to age some more. Then 1956 through 1962.

Seventh Engineers for a few months, got to blow things up .... I liked that a lot!

Then they informed me I was going to extend and go to Aviation Electronics ... or else. I checked out the "or else" part and decided to extend and go to school for about a year.

Ended up with 4 primary MOS's (I know, I know that's "impossible" but that's how it was.) and 3 secondaries.

Ended up at H&MS-15, MAG-15 supposedly working on RADAR, Radio, Navigation Systems, IFF and the Early ECM gear as well as missiles and A-Bomb delivery systems, and etc.

What I did mostly was run errands and steal things for My Boss. Security clearances I had made that easier.

Then he got moved up to HQ 3rd MAW, he took me along and my job changed. I got to run errands and steal things for him and a two star.

I got to travel a lot, Lebanon in '58, Quemoy, Matsu and Taiwan around that same time. Got to see Sunny Southeast Asia before the tourist rush started!

Very long story, volunteered for absolutely everything that came along and the whole thing is "Glad I did that, would rather not do any of it again!"

Anyhow .... back on topic.....

Sort of!

During one Aircrew Escape, Evasion and survival course, one instructor (Who had parachuted on the wrong side of the Yalu and hiked 20 miles through China to the river and another 70 or so through the North Korean Army back to our lines) stressed one thing above almost everything else.

Never surrender or give up to an thing or anyone for any reason! That was a given!

But the second point he hammered us on was that ...

In a true survival situation you MUST become Paranoid!

You must focus on the negatives not the positives.

For example:

I've had nothing but a couple of slugs and some ants to eat this week and there's a bird nest in that tree. Probably eggs in it, I'll just climb up there and get me an egg or two.

He called that a normal thought process!

What he said was required was paranoid evaluation of all possible negatives.

Is every branch and limb I might touch healthy and strong enough to support me?

Is there anything else in that tree, snakes, mammals, other birds?

Will any part of that action expose my position or give my location away?

How long will it realistically take me to climb and return? And is that time better spent in another fashion?

Well, there's a lot more, but everyone gets the idea!

It might be best to stay with the bugs and slugs.

He stressed the importance of keeping that attitude toward everything you did.

In an environment where every cut or scrape that's improperly treated can weaken you in a day or two and kill you within a week, you must analyze the negative possibilities rigorously and continuously.

The oldest rule in the Woods is ... NEVER step over or on anything, walk around it unless you're certain!

But it's a rare November when I don't see someone hobbling back to his car with a twisted, sprained or broken ankle or leg, caused directly by ignoring that rule.

One of the problems is that poor decision making is one of the earliest signs of Dehydration!

On the SW radios, Sangean seems to make the best bang for your buck, Radio Shack handles some models, but be careful there are a lot of models and not all are created equally.
Probably won't get much worth having for less than $100-$150 or so.

Go to a Public Library and find a Copy of "Passport to WorldBand Radio", they test and rate most models and I've found them to be most reliable in their recommendations!

Well this is way too long!

But y'all know how us geezers are once we get started.

Sorry about that!

Regards,
:)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, Happy belated engineers birthday, I was an engineer also, First unit was in A comm unit with the 1st MAW, Comm Squadron 18. Then came Back to the states to an engineer platoon at lejeune, II MEF II MHG Engineer Plt. I was with the first wave that went into Iraq. around this time in 2003. Same here, volunteered for everything and now realize I was stupid for it. I spent alot of time with EOD over there. I love my .308 VEPR, I have the same model as you do, But I have some add ons, Check out the pics in the VEPR forum. And be sure to post pics of yours on there. And check out the pic of the one I just scored. Again welcome to the forum and enjoy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Almost forgot!

In any circumstance, cordage is very valuable, the more primitive the circumstances, the more necessary it becomes.

Everyone knows about the multiple uses of Para Cord.

But I suggest that a small bag of plastic tie wraps are easily worth their weight in gold (or ammunition).

A mixed bag or container from the electrical supply section of your local hardware store is a great investment.

Anyone who doesn't know that already might take a few along on their next hike, hunting, fishing or Camping trip and see what uses they find!

Like American Express, I never leave home without them.

Regards,
:)

·
Registered
641 Posts
What?! I haven't seen duct tape in the list--it has 101 uses :goof:

I'll weigh in with a few things I think would be good to have:

I keep a hefty supply of Oil of Olay dry towelettes--just add water and you have a soapy rag to wash off with. I keep these with me at the lake--good for washing worm guts off my hands. But they're an easy way to freshen whatever may need freshening.

rubbing alcohol, peroxide, hand sanitizer, various types of medicine

bicycle pump with extra little tips--really any kind of pump or air compressor

batteries, flashlight, CB radio, matches

damn I gotta go look at the camping kit

:neutral:

probably some pvc pipe and steel pipes, barbed wire, rope, chain (all could be used to make booby traps)

I had to add these things because I was thinking of just getting by for a couple days--but then I see you want stuff for long term on your own jungle survival stuff........

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Women always think of things we never do. I remember my ex used to pack baby wipes whenever we went camping- damn great things.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts