AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a recent convert from AR to AK. Sold all my ARs and have bought 2 Zastava zpap m70, to start off with. As my name suggests I am an addicted hog hunter and plan on using these for hogs. I have 2 Bering optics Hogster thermal scopes I plan on putting on these rifles. I am. Bit concerned because I can’t find a single video of a thermal mounted AK. Is there something i should know? Will thermal optics perform on AKs? My thermals are rates up to .308 recoil. Is there a way to put a rail on top for a thermal?

·
Registered
22,891 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but you'll have to buy a new AK. :confused:

Heheh.. reason being is that top cover mounts for the AK traditionally suck. Texas Dogleg might work, but IIRC they won't fit on an M70. Buying an AK with a side scope mount will let you use iron sights as well as have a solid anchor point for optics. I would recommend RS Regulate but there are others out there. As mentioned above, Midwest Industries are good too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do your rifles have side rail mounts?

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
I haven’t received them yet. I’m pretty sure they do. They are the new Zastava zpap m70.

Lmao live that signature of yours

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Heheh.. reason being is that top cover mounts for the AK traditionally suck. Texas Dogleg might work, but IIRC they won't fit on an M70. Buying an AK with a side scope mount will let you use iron sights as well as have a solid anchor point for optics. I would recommend RS Regulate but there are others out there. As mentioned above, Midwest Industries are good too.

Could you recommend an AK that would fit my need? In the same price range..$1,000-$1300?

·
Registered
22,891 Posts
I'd go with a VEPR in 308 for hogs. Molot factory, stem to stern quality, no frills, side scope rail. heavy receiver. wide variety of ammo. Might be kind of a bother to find. Saiga would suit your needs too.

Or like Eric p said if you wanted to go x39 and is.. yanno.. available.

Reactions: G O B and scottyb

·
Registered
738 Posts
Beryl M762 or try to make o Beryl rail mount to your AK.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could you recommend an AK that would fit my need? In the same price range..$1,000-$1300?
After looking closely at the pictures my rifle has the same mount as the Arsenal you mentioned. Here is a pic of the zpap m70 side rail mount. I am not arguing with you, you know a lot more than me, just asking if this wouldn’t work...

·
Registered
22,891 Posts
That's kind of a surprise. I still have a sneaking suspicion that it's a proprietary scope mount, but from a quick search it looks like Midwest makes a compatible rail system.

Reactions: Cherokee Hogman

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's kind of a surprise. I still have a sneaking suspicion that it's a proprietary scope mount, but from a quick search it looks like Midwest makes a compatible rail system.
I’ve already ordered and paid for these... so I’m invested and have to try and make them work somehow. Still not sure how. More research is in order. The sad thing is I sold this beauty 2 weeks ago before I realized I wanted to be an AK guy.

·
Registered
22,891 Posts
....welp.. what's done is done. At least there are options for Yugos now. They're still not as plentiful as the other stuff, but it's better than it was not too long ago.

Reactions: scottyb

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
+1 for a .308 hog perforater

Oh honey, look at this. I bought the wrong mount, can’t let it go to waste. Better buy a rifle that fits it.
Haha sounds like my old tricks. The .308 is probably the best hog hunting round there is, and I’ve used it for years. A PSA.308 topped with an ATN 4K pro killed dozens of hogs for me over the last couple years. But with the ammo crisis being the way it is I am concerned about more than hunting hogs. I can’t find .308, 5.56, .223, and many others anywhere. And when I do it’s FMJ and outrageously expensive. After doing a little research I found 7.62x39 in soft point and hollow, and FMJ in a dozen places at $330 per case of 1000. I am stocking up to last the rest of my life, and my children’s life. This ammo crisis isn’t going away. It’s just getting started. Or so I believe and I am acting accordingly.

·
Banned
22 Posts
I am. Bit concerned because I can’t find a single video of a thermal mounted AK. Is there something i should know? Will thermal optics perform on AKs? My thermals are rates up to .308 recoil. Is there a way to put a rail on top for a thermal?

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
You should be fine.

The main item is the OP AK is a factory made Serbian or Yugo variety. These have a proprietary side rail that needs the correct mount to mate to it.

RSRegulate makes one, their mounts are modular in that the upper part is interchangeable for the type of scope you are using.

RS makes a full length Pic rail upper.

There is a member here that has a thermal scope and hunts hogs but I believe his rifle is not an AK.

The TWS dog leg top covers are equipped with a built in rail.

For AK that does not have a side rail there is a device called Master mount and provides a rail to mount to that is also not a permanent alteration to the rifle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You should be fine.

The main item is the OP AK is a factory made Serbian or Yugo variety. These have a proprietary side rail that needs the correct mount to mate to it.

RSRegulate makes one, their mounts are modular in that the upper part is interchangeable for the type of scope you are using.

RS makes a full length Pic rail upper.

There is a member here that has a thermal scope and hunts hogs but I believe his rifle is not an AK.

The TWS dog leg top covers are equipped with a built in rail.

For AK that does not have a side rail there is a device called Master mount and provides a rail to mount to that is also not a permanent alteration to the rifle.
Thank you! Most of that was mostly Greek to me being new to AKs but I think I can figure it out. I ordered 2 of the zastava zpapm70. Zastava ZPAPM70 7.62x39mm Semi-Automatic Black AK Rifle Would it be possible to link me to the exact hardware I need to mount my thermal? My thermal is a Bering optic hogster 35. That would save me so much time trying to translate everything you said above!

·
Registered
940 Posts
You don't need .308 to take hogs. I've taken a ton with 7.62x39 without issue, even downed a few with 5.56.

For mounting the thermal I wouldn't use the TWS Dogleg, thermals are relatively heavy and I don't think you could trust it to hold zero with that weight.
I think your best choices would be Midwest Industries or RS Regulate, they both make Zastava/Yugo compatible side mounts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You don't need .308 to take hogs. I've taken a ton with 7.62x39 without issue, even downed a few with 5.56.

For mounting the thermal I wouldn't use the TWS Dogleg, thermals are relatively heavy and I don't think you could trust it to hold zero with that weight.
I think your best choices would be Midwest Industries or RS Regulate, they both make Zastava/Yugo compatible side mounts.

Thank you for the links. The thermal I currently own is an ultra compact, weighs less than 1 lbs. still heavier than most scopes. I will follow your advice. Thanks again. Btw I’ve dropped many with .223 but have lost a bunch too. The .308 is a great choice but with Ammo crisis not very practical. Now I’m using a .25 cal AR. The 25-45 sharps. Seems to be the perfect round. But still have issues with Ammo. Got to get my AKs and stocked up on 7.62x39

·
Registered
4 Posts
No thermal scope. But in the decades I've owned her she's harvested more hog than I can remember. The illuminated reticle makes just before dawn and just after dark shots a breeze.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts