AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well written, Thekatar. Video or pictures would be beneficial if someone has the time to make them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks, Templar. I was confused by the slinging paragraph but after looking at the photos you posted see that I sling like the majority of participants using a Vickers Combat Applications Sling.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Great write-up! I've trained with Vickers once (basic pistol) and this seems to follow his mindset. When he trains the AK does he still stress accuracy? What does he believe the AK is capable accuracy wise? What does he say about the 5.45 vs. the 7.62? Any opinions on the 5.56 guns out there now?

I took Pat Rogers AK class and it really was a mirror image of his Carbine Operator's Class. He did not categorize the two different types of reloads (using your thumb to engage the mag release vs. using the new mag for an ER). He also let you determine if reaching under the gun or over was the best method to run the charging handle.

What modifications does LAV think are beneficial to the AK platform? In the class with Pat Rogers he thought upgraded sights (bigger rear notch accomplished with a file and possibly an Ashley front sight) and a modified safety (Krebs, Blackjack, 550 cord) were worth the time to have. I also used a VCAS with the snap fron a Bulgarian sling and it worked great as a useful sling.

Another difference between the two is the zero. Rogers teaches to zero with the rear sight set on 2 versus LAV teaching it set on one. I also think that LAV's "press check" is a great technique. And reloading while moving with an AK is much more difficult than with an AR due to the mechanics used to rock the mag in.

Thanks!
Spooky

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spooky130 said:
Great write-up! I've trained with Vickers once (basic pistol) and this seems to follow his mindset. When he trains the AK does he still stress accuracy? What does he believe the AK is capable accuracy wise? What does he say about the 5.45 vs. the 7.62? Any opinions on the 5.56 guns out there now?

I took Pat Rogers AK class and it really was a mirror image of his Carbine Operator's Class. He did not categorize the two different types of reloads (using your thumb to engage the mag release vs. using the new mag for an ER). He also let you determine if reaching under the gun or over was the best method to run the charging handle.

What modifications does LAV think are beneficial to the AK platform? In the class with Pat Rogers he thought upgraded sights (bigger rear notch accomplished with a file and possibly an Ashley front sight) and a modified safety (Krebs, Blackjack, 550 cord) were worth the time to have. I also used a VCAS with the snap fron a Bulgarian sling and it worked great as a useful sling.

Another difference between the two is the zero. Rogers teaches to zero with the rear sight set on 2 versus LAV teaching it set on one. I also think that LAV's "press check" is a great technique. And reloading while moving with an AK is much more difficult than with an AR due to the mechanics used to rock the mag in.

Thanks!
Spooky
Here are some threads to review that will answer many of your questions:

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51637

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=59489

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62292

The press check that I describe is my own technique.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I do the same press check that thekatar does.

Earlier this year I took a Randy Cain 2-day AK class. It was great in part because everyone in the class had trained with Randy and others before, and we all knew each other. As such, it became as much of a think-tank or brain-trust as we talked about different techniques we had been exposed to or developed on our own.

Randy had us all try the reach-over vs. the reach-under, the "bash the mag out" vs. releasing it with the thumb, etc. It was a great chance to get exposed to all manner of techniques that we could all take home and figure out for ourselves.

I've been running the AK at matches and drills since then and since we start all stages safety-on I do the same thing that thekatar advocates. I hook the handle with my social finger, and stick the booger-picker in the ejection port to feel for the round.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rob_s said:
I do the same press check that thekatar does.

Earlier this year I took a Randy Cain 2-day AK class. It was great in part because everyone in the class had trained with Randy and others before, and we all knew each other. As such, it became as much of a think-tank or brain-trust as we talked about different techniques we had been exposed to or developed on our own.

Randy had us all try the reach-over vs. the reach-under, the "bash the mag out" vs. releasing it with the thumb, etc. It was a great chance to get exposed to all manner of techniques that we could all take home and figure out for ourselves.

I've been running the AK at matches and drills since then and since we start all stages safety-on I do the same thing that thekatar advocates. I hook the handle with my social finger, and stick the booger-picker in the ejection port to feel for the round.
Thanks for the input Rob. This thread isn't meant to be a soapbox for me on "The Way" so if you have anything specifically you'd like to add and/or refute please do so. I will be happy (and this applies to everyone) to try and clarify anything I write here that is not clear.

I am also absolutely open to being persuaded that a technique I describe here is not as good as something I haven't yet tried. That being said, I am trying to keep this thread as a simple primer for untrained individuals and not a discussion of more advanced concepts/techniques.

:smile:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Great stuff very well written.
I live in an Urban area St.Louis Mo i have to drive almost 30 miles one way to shoot at a super strict State run public range.My various EBW's always bring frowns.

I try from a low slung position to bring gun to bear and on target as quickly as possible and pull off ONE round.I have got much better at this after doing it for the last 6 months.

Any ideas on any other drills for those of us who do not have the obvious better training areas..?One point the no finger in guard (mine lies along the side ) until firing-both eyes open-i use a Amipoint all are being used already.

Again thanks for the info.Thats why this forum is what it is.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
cool stuff but so much of it is based on the assumption of a right handed shooter :sad:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Thekatar's Practical Kalashnikov Primer

Thekatar said:
All descriptions assume a right hand/right eye dominant shooter; "strong" means right and "support" means left.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts