AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking lately about metal fillers. obviously, some of us have mig welders and thats the best way to go. but, If one does not, I can tell you about a product that I use to use to fill cracks in cast iron manifolds.

The legendary auto resto products company, POR15 makes a high temp metal filler called, FIRE SEAL 2000. It is a water based,ceramic and metallic,heat cured filler that can be used on any high temp item from wood stoves to exhaust manifolds !!

I went out in the garage and found some that I had used before. heres what it states on the small round tube that holds this state of the art product.

"fire seal bonds aggressively to cast iron and carbon steel and is strengthened by exposure to heat. it is an inorganic mineral rich ceramic paste.metal filled for added strength and able to withsatnd temperatures in excess of 2000 degrees"

I would think this would be great for those that need to repair big gouges in barrels or removing Gs, or anything that is going to get real hot,like a barrel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks....this looks to be a LOT better than JB Weld....I have seen it used on Auto repairs (exhaust manifolds) and it worked well. I had forgotten all about it until you mentoned it. I've got a small, cosmetic repair to make to a 1919A4 lower plate (has a small gouge in it) and will try this.

Also, here is the website for the product that Command450 mentions...

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FS2&dept=10

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thanks for the tip ! Easy to sand and get smooth ? Where can one find this product ? Thanks, Jerod

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes,check out the link gmum posted, not to mention all the other killer products they sell. I still am tempted to coat a reciever with their por 15 coating, to see how it does, different story there though.

from what I remember,it files nice once it is cured. obviously one still cannot blue over it, but it would be interesting to see how it does with gunkote. next time I am going to gunkote something I will try an experiment by gouging a notch on a piece of thick steel, then filling it with the fire seal 2000..........we will see how it performs. I would say you would want to let it cure for a day,then bake it at 300 degrees, then put some gunkote on it after its fully cured.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts