AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the course of my job, I've noticed that women, after they have been really,truly frightened, emit a strong, sickly sweet smell. I have never smelled it on a man.

Can someone qualified explain the physiology of that odor, and why I haven't smelled it from a man?

This is a serious question.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ALOT stronger than that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New research reveals humans really can smell fear | Science | The Guardian

When sniffing 'panic sweat', the regions of the brain that handle emotional and social signals became far more active. Parts of the brain involved in empathy also lit up.
The researchers believe fear and anxiety trigger the release of a chemical that makes other people empathise.

Last year scientists funded by the U.S. Pentagon found the smell of anxious people triggered a heightened response in brain regions associated with fear.
The sweat samples came from 20 thrill-seekers taking part in their first tandem parachute jump.
Many scientists say smell is one of the most poorly understood senses and that it plays a crucial role in our relationships with other people.

The smell of fear, one of the most terrible cliches of pulp fiction, is actually founded in fact, scientists claim today.
People can unconsciously detect whether someone is stressed or scared by smelling a chemical pheromone released in their sweat, according to researchers who have investigated the underarm secretions of petrified skydivers.
The team found that the smell of fear triggered a heightened response in brain regions associated with fear when inhaled by volunteers in a brain scanner. The research suggests that, like many animal species, humans can detect and subconsciously respond to pheromones released by other people.
The research was funded by the US Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency - the Pentagon's military research wing - raising speculation that it is a first step to isolating the fear pheromone for use in warfare, perhaps to induce terror in enemy troops. But Darpa denied that it had any military plans for fear pheromones or plans to fund further research into the field.
Dr Lilianne Mujica-Parodi at Stony Brook University in New York State and her team taped absorbent pads to the armpits of 20 novice skydivers - 11 men and nine women - on their first tandem jump. The pads soaked up sweat before they leapt from the plane and as they fell. For comparison, the team collected sweat from the same individuals as they ran on a treadmill for a similar duration at the same time of day they had made their jump.
They transferred the two types of sweat to nebulisers and asked volunteers in a brain scanner to breath it in. The team did not tell the volunteers about the experiment. New Scientist magazine reported that the volunteers' amygdala and hypothalamus - brain regions associated with fear - were more active in people who breathed in the "fear" sweat. The volunteers in the brain scanner were unable consciously to distinguish between the two types of sweat.
In a conference presentation last year, Mujica-Parodi wrote: "We demonstrate here the first direct evidence for a human alarm pheromone ... our findings indicate that there may be a hidden biological component to human social dynamics, in which emotional stress is, quite literally, 'contagious'." She declined to comment further on the results because the study is under review with a scientific journal.
Simon Wessely, a psychiatrist at the King Centre for Military Health Research at King's College London, told New Scientist that the idea that a fear pheromone could be developed as a chemical weapon was scientifically implausible. He said that a purely physiological cue was not enough to induce fear.
Most researchers do not believe that humans can detect pheromones. In other mammals this is done using a structure in the nose called the vomeronasal organ. Although humans have one of these it is not connected to the brain. However, human pheromones could still be detected elsewhere and some small studies have suggested that human behaviour can be modified by an alarm pheromone.

·
Registered
864 Posts
You scare the shit out of them and it combines with the perfume on their panty liner, or they're getting off on the fear and they are getting the good stuff ready for you to "rescue" them.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Just plain sweat. Unless you knew what it came from you wouldn't characterize the sweat.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
In the course of my job, I've noticed that women, after they have been really,truly frightened, emit a strong, sickly sweet smell. I have never smelled it on a man.

Can someone qualified explain the physiology of that odor, and why I haven't smelled it from a man?

This is a serious question.
I'm curious about your work, are you in law enforcement? How are these women being mortally scared, via domestic violence?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I can smell fear and it all smells the same In animals or humans ,men or women. To me it smells like a metalic tangy kind of smell, not sweet at all. I always contributed it to capillaries in your body expanding. because it is the same smell/ taste of raw fresh blood with that metallic weirdness. I have a super sense of smell and thats why some can smell it and some might not.

·
Banned
950 Posts
It's adrenalin. Your body dumps it into your system to get your ass moving to survive.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Pretty sure he's current of prior Army/military...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Makes you wonder how long it will be before some hollyweird theater chain spends the money to find a way to isolate this stuff, and use it as an aerosol spray on the armrests of movie theater seats in horror movies, to see if it will stimulate the audience reaction and build up publicity for their latest slasher/zombie/horror flick, by prompting audience members to discuss their honest "fear" reaction to the stimulus of the pheromone, which their brain attributes to the stronger visual sensation of watching the movie? Just have the clean-up crews between showings spray it on the armrests as a "disinfectant" or some sort of air freshener, and the audience might not ever catch on to the manipulation? In fact, they could probably do the same with other pheromone stimulants such as sexual ones for romantic comedies/love stories, etc. A little more subtle than the old trick of a single frame short message spliced into every so many frames; too brief for the mind to consciously notice by most but repeated enough and the message "sticks" on the subliminal level. The concept isn't new, but this technology might help it be more effective.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm in law enforcement, and did a couple tours in Iraq with the Army Reserve. But I honestly can't remember smelling it in any military experience although I, and everyone around me was extremely scared many times.

The times I've noticed it was interviewing females after they had been assaulted or threatened with violence. Not all of them emitted it- about 5%, maybe because of the degree of fear, or maybe it's just an individual thing. I did notice that the ones who did emit it impressed me as being truly, "manic" scared, and gave no statement about trying to fight back in any way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts