AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been hashed out again,and again....but now I can say I told you so! :evil:

"U.S. War Plan Leaked to Iraqis by Russian Ambassador"

Documents dated March 5-8, 2003

Two Iraqi documents dated in March 2003 ? on the eve of the U.S.-led invasion ? and addressed to the secretary of Saddam Hussein, describe details of a U.S. plan for war. According to the documents, the plan was disclosed to the Iraqis by the Russian ambassador.

The first document (CMPC-2003-001950) is a handwritten account of a meeting with the Russian ambassador that details his description of the composition, size, location and type of U.S. military forces arrayed in the Gulf and Jordan. The document includes the exact numbers of tanks, armored vehicles, different types of aircraft, missiles, helicopters, aircraft carriers, and other forces, and also includes their exact locations. The ambassador also described the positions of two Special Forces units.

The second document (CMPC-2004-001117) is a typed account, signed by Deputy Foreign Minister Hammam Abdel Khaleq, that states that the Russian ambassador has told the Iraqis that the United States was planning to deploy its force into Iraq from Basra in the South and up the Euphrates, and would avoid entering major cities on the way to Baghdad, which is, in fact what happened. The documents also state "Americans are also planning on taking control of the oil fields in Kirkuk." The information was obtained by the Russians from "sources at U.S. Central Command in Doha, Qatar," according to the document.

This document also includes an account of an amusing incident in which several Iraqi Army officers (presumably seeking further elaboration of the U.S. war plans) contacted the Russian Embassy in Baghdad and stated that the ambassador was their source. Needless to say, this caused great embarrassment to the ambassador, and the officers were instructed "not to mention the ambassador again in that context."

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Why the hell did we provide the russians with those plans anyway...

What did one expect from a country that plays friendly to the west while playing oldtime superpower internally...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
We told the Russians what we were doing because it's not nice for your 'allies' to learn of your invation plans when they see it on CNN. Politics, man.

I think the Russians sold the Iraqis some GPS jamming gear.

Lot of good the G2 did the Iraqis.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
They're pissed because we're in Afghanistan. Next we may take over Iran. With Afghanistan we would be right in the backyard of Russia and China and have unlimited fuel from Iran to supply any kind of operation in that area. :smile:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Dieter I think you're right, but I was mistaken.

It was lazar guided bomb jammers. I think that was it, not radar. They were supposed to confuse the LGB's, but it looks like they weren't used or didn't work. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hell. That was the most likely route for us to take baghdad. We were built up in kuwait...Which is in the south....and most of the cities in Iraq are along the river, and we needed to stay near water sources for logistical reasons....Wouldnt make much sense to drive around the west side of the border, move into baghdad throught the desert and not touch any of the cities with Iraqi military bases in them. We had to take the cities near the river to cause that where the cities are, and thats where the military were.....And why would he write him a letter like a school kid...and leave evidence of his betrayal. Sounds kinda cooked up to me....But I am not intel so I dont know.

·
Registered
330 Posts
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/03/24/D8GI5MIG1.html

Russia Spies Operated in Iraq Through 2003

Russia had a military intelligence unit operating in Iraq up through the 2003 U.S. invasion and fall of Baghdad, a Russian analyst said Friday. A Pentagon report said Russia provided Saddam Hussein with intelligence on U.S. military movements and plans.

The unclassified report does not assess the value of the information or provide details beyond citing two captured Iraqi documents that say the Russians collected information from sources "inside the American Central Command" and that battlefield intelligence was provided to Saddam through the Russian ambassador in Baghdad.

A classified version of the Pentagon report, titled "Iraqi Perspectives Project," is not being made public.

A duty officer with Russia's Foreign Ministry refused to comment on the report late Friday evening and said questions must be faxed in advance before any answers would be given.

No one answered the phones at the Defense Ministry.

Pavel Felgenhauer, a respected independent Moscow-based military analyst, said the report was within the realm of possibility.

"It's quite plausible," he told The Associated Press.

He said a unit affiliated with the Defense Ministry's Main Intelligence Department, known by its abbreviation GRU, was actively working in Iraq at the time of the U.S. invasion of Iraq. The unit apparently was shut down after Baghdad fell during the U.S.-led invasion.

There also was an Internet site in Russian called "The Ramzay Files" that caused a stir in Moscow's military and diplomatic community at the time, Felgenhauer said.

The site, which also shut down after the invasion, posted striking insights, predictions and analysis into U.S. military activities as well as Iraqi military and intelligence activities.

He said former GRU officials told him the type of information that was being posted _ both on the Iraqis and on the Americans _ appeared to be the kind that only highly placed Russian intelligence officials in Iraq would have.

According to the Pentagon report, one piece of Russian intelligence _ whether by chance or design _ actually contributed to an important U.S. military deception effort.

By telling Saddam that the main attack on Baghdad would not begin until the Army's 4th Infantry Division arrived around April 15, the Russians reinforced an impression that U.S. commanders were trying to catch the Iraqis by surprise.

The attack on Baghdad began well before the 4th Infantry arrived, and the Saddam regime collapsed quickly.

The Pentagon report also said the Russians told the Iraqis that the Americans planned to concentrate on bombing in and around Baghdad, cutting the road to Syria and Jordan and creating enough confusion to force Baghdad residents to flee.

Felgenhauer said the release of the report was coming at an inauspicious time, given the marked cooling in Russian-U.S. relations in recent months, and could be "the beginning of a real degradation in relations" between Washington and Moscow.

"This could reflect this ongoing confrontation and now the Pentagon is sticking its finger into the pie," he said.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nations don't really have "friends" only temporary allies. Look at Nato "allies" like France and Germany and their actions leading up to the war. Or take a "friend" like Israel which has no problems spying on us or selling military secrets to China. Foreign policy has to be conducted on the basis of national interest not friendship.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I think samtechlan is on it. We are our friends, there is no one else. When the flow of oil begins to falter it will be harder to pretend.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Sheeple think that just because the "walls" came down, we're one big happy family. The animosity is still there, fellas.

I dare say that even Mr. Kalashnikov has a little disdain, when he talks about Americans.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bachelor_of_Science said:
Sheeple think that just because the "walls" came down, we're one big happy family. The animosity is still there, fellas.

I dare say that even Mr. Kalashnikov has a little disdain, when he talks about Americans.
+1!

·
Registered
715 Posts
...never did trust them and I haven't seen a valid reason to yet. :mad:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Russia is currently stewing in a giant pot of kakashki (poop). Ever since the "fall" their economy (and therefore life in general) is shit. They lost tons of Rubles trying to save communism, kick Afghanistan's ass and dominate the Ukraine, Chechnya, Byelorossiya, etc., etc., ad infinitum. The guy running the show's main attribute is that he was a stealthy aggressive killer for the KGB (now FSB). Now, with freedom so free the only one's who know how to truly take advantage of it is the Mafia. What a freak show! Russia, like any other country, as correctly stated above, has temporary allies. Sometimes it's us, sometimes it's China, sometimes it's France.........sometime's it's those guys with all the oil. :neutral:

Business as usual boys!!! :wink:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I would trust them if they got rid of the Russian gun ban thing and sent a couple thousand SVT-38s, SVT-40s, and SVDs my way...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts