AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I have one 6 digit ser.# The fine folks @ James River dated it the month of Dec.1940. It was in poor shape my great uncle had put it up stairs and forgot about it. It was not pitted buy rusty and the wood all cracked up. I restored it and its to nice to shoot much.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. I wish I would have bought more of the Greek HXP when it was cheap. At least I only paid 400.00 apiece for my M1s from the CMP.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Sometimes I think I want one, but I've owned a couple in the past and never shot them.

If I can't load and shoot it with commercial Prvi Partizan or Federal or AE FMJ ammo then fuck it. I don't need a fussy rifle.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can buy an aftermarket gas plug that will allow you to safely shoot commercial ammo for like thirty five bucks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very pleasant to shoot. There is something about those big brass cases ejecting that the smaller semi's just can't equal.

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
It is soft shooting for an 06 isn't it? A soft shove versus the pounding you take from a K98K.
Yes, its much better than an 8mm bolt action. I own 2 of them, and they are great full power autoloaders.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I received one from the DCM, which was the predecessor to the CMP back in the day. Back then you could only get one rifle for your lifetime. Luck of the draw what you got, no choice. It was a govt run program and not a corporate entity like CMP is now. You had to shoot in a couple matches and send in a bunch of paperwork, and the Army sent you and M1 via USPS. The condition of the guns was generally much higher than anything CMP offers now, because the condition of the Garands that were in storage were much better. Mine is a Springfield. IIRC it was $125 or something like that. I also bought two buddies DCM Garands when they wanted to sell what they received. Both H&R's. I also have an International Harvester that has seen better days, being a Blue Sky, but seems to work fine. Lastly, I have a Springfield receiver, built in Dec 41 that I need to build, but I hopped on the build wagon a little too late and the parts kits are pretty dried up. I also haven't decided how I want the build to go.

One of the most enjoyable M1's I've shot was a "Tanker" Garand in .308. While not historically accurate, and wearing the "Tanker" moniker stamped into the receiver, it shot great, handled fantastic, and was just plain fun. The owner had spent some money sending it off to be worked into a reliable piece.

While M1's do shoot softly, my father has a Johnson M1941 that I've shot and that is a tad softer.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I had one, sold it. It was a mix master but shot great. In the end it just didnt do anything for me and semi auto 3006 is not cheap. Sold it, along with the tins of HXP

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
Outside of a .22 it's my favorite gun to shoot.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I have a CMP Garand that looks very rough but shoots like a dream. I also have a DCM Carbine that had not been shot since being rearsenaled and it looked like brand new (until I shot it of course). It's a fine shooter too. I love both of them dearly.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Come on TRAAKS, what's better? Granted, I haven't shot every rifle out there, but the M1's sights are the best I've used. I do like the AR A2 sights as well.

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
Come on TRAAKS, what's better? Granted, I haven't shot every rifle out there, but the M1's sights are the best I've used. I do like the AR A2 sights as well.
What I shoot the best with is.....naa, I am not going to be the one to take the lid off that can of worms. The best issue rifle sights are the ones you are used to...all due respect.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TRAAKS, open the can. This is a very civil board and I'm open minded. If I can find something to shoot better with I'm all for it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts