AK Rifles banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
My son went to see this and had to leave. Emotions got the better of him. 18 yrs. old and in the Navy. Tough view for some I guess.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The first 175 pages of the book made me feel like...I got it really really hard to become a SEAL. The next 175 read all at in one sitting. Wow!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Saw it today. Excellent movie. Even Hollywood actually got this one mostly right. Hard to watch that kind of heroism and sacrifice while worthless and weak politicians who have never served anyone but themselves shit on the same Constitution they also swore an oath to support and defend. I noticed it was real quiet and somber in the theatre when the credits rolled.

·
Registered
319 Posts
hard to watch knowing it happened

great movie

And since we are here..

Some good PKM shots, some RPGs and plenty of AKs

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Powerful movie, I shed a few tears. I've met GM2(SEAL) Danny Dietz in 2002 or 2003 while attending M2HB .50cal school. Super cool guy, it's a sad reminder every time I walk past the hallway of my work place. The wall is adorned with pictures of the fallen SEAL's that past away since 9/11.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing this. I'm sure it will hit me hard, much like Black Hawk Down and We Were Soldiers did. Films such as these should be required viewing for high school seniors. It might make them realize the sacrifices the members of our armed forces make everyday.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Saw it last night and the best part of the movie was the ending photos, was a good reminder there as to the cost in real lives. I am not sure why Luttrell was in his own movie as a background guy, kind of distracting but I am sure it had to do with being around to make it authentic. Kunar, what a meat grinder -- if you have a chance check out the documentary Restrepo, same neighborhood but all real footage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Read the book and the follow-up called service. There is a ton of real truth about the whole affair left out by Hollywood. Big surprise for all of you I am sure.

In real life Marcus crawled for over 7 miles with over 12 rounds through his legs, broken pelvis, broken pack, round into his back etc. etc. etc. That injured an 7 miles..shows what a mind can do when motivated.

Also the LT died a pretty horrible death. 17 rounds though him most into his back in real life. Marcus said in an interview that Mike kept crying out for him and there was nothing he or Matt could do as they were pinned down.

The radioman in real life caught a round in the head that killed him up on the ridge while marcus was trying to get him down the valley.

Afterwards Matt had the front of his skull blown off but remained alive and alert for many minutes afterwards however he was blinded by the injury. He was killed by one of many RPG rounds that day. The same round that killed Matt vs there BS depiction in the movie blew Marcus down the cliff where he hid then crawled the 7 miles.

Marcus crawled to the village and was not found until he crawled into it. He stayed there for over 7 days and the Taliban wanted to kill him the whole time and knew he was in the village.

Hollywood should have kept it as an honest historic film. The true story is pretty rough and pisses you off about Barry and Bush even more than most of you already are.

We should never send men into harms way unless they have adequate air support and coms...

You would have thought Somalia and Blackhawk down was a clue for those in DC about proper air support.

Beyond SEALs value as human being there is a HUGE cost associated in training them over a million USD on average. Losing 33 of them in a day is just politically stupid to do. But BUSH and BARRY were hardly intelligent...

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
My question is if they would have just killed the goat farmers would they all have lived ?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
They would not have a good conscience but it would have been better to kill just the older son as he was the trouble maker.

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
My question is if they would have just killed the goat farmers would they all have lived ?
Hind sight is always 20/20. I'm not sure I could have killed them either in cold blood. In the book, there was quite a discussion about what to do, but they ultimately made the decision to let them go.
I'll be seeing this tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Going to see it tomorrow as well. I have no.doubt that tears will be shed by me. I lost a very dear friend that day. He was a flight engineer on the MH-47. I am still in touch with his widow. We went through basic, AIT, Korea, and finally 160th together. RIP Tre!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Hind sight is always 20/20. I'm not sure I could have killed them either in cold blood. In the book, there was quite a discussion about what to do, but they ultimately made the decision to let them go.
I'll be seeing this tomorrow.
at least tied up and gagged them or something

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
Up there, it would be the same as death by shooting or knife, only more slow.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Loved the book, liked the movie, loved the homage to the real people at the end.

and frankly - I loved that my showing was packed - at 4:30

I hope this shows people still care about those who serve all of us.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.